HistoryPoints has teamed up with Cadwyn Clwyd and St Asaph City Council to place QR codes at 20 additional HiPoints in St Asaph, Denbighshire. Each QR label allows the public to download to their smartphone or tablet a concise history of the building, memorial or other feature in the vicinity.
This project has received funding through the Rural Development Plan for Wales 2007-2013 which is funded by the Welsh Government and the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development. To read the EU Commission's rural development web page, click here.
Click on any location in St Asaph in the list below to read about it. There's a map under each text (Click on "Where is this HiPoint?") if you'd like help to find that location.
QR Llanelwy HiPoints:
Dic Aberdaron’s grave – this wanderer reputedly knew 15 languages
Mary Short memorial fountain – given by her widower to provide clean water to citizens
‘Pack up your troubles’ house - birth place of song writers "the Powell brothers"
Elwy Bank - the most remarkable feature of this building is the collection of murals in the drawing room
The Old China House - St Asaphs oldest house
Dean's Library - construction ordered by the Very Rev Watkin Williams
Old court house – still bears the royal coat of arms
Mostyn Arms Hotel - the St Asaph branch of NatWest Bank occupies the former Mostyn Arms Hotel
The Old Rectory - on the frontage of this building is the date 1780, some parts date back to earlier in that century
Old rail station – once a hive activity, on the Vale of Clwyd line
HM Stanley sculpture – telling the colourful story of the man who ‘found’ Dr Livingstone
Poet Felicia Hemans’ former home – read her poem Casabianca here
Bible translators’ memorial – depicts eight men who helped create the Welsh Bible
Parish church - It’s said that this church was founded by Kentigern c.560AD
Song school – built 1810 and now home to the cathedral choir
Old sluice gate - this mechanism once controlled the flow of water which powered St Asaph’s corn mill
Gemig Street & former Red Lion Inn - the name of this street derives from the Welsh word “cam”, meaning crooked
The Plough - destination of a forerunner of the "booze cruise" when Sundays were dry in Wales
Irish Square- probably got its name when basic lodgings here were used by many of the navvies who built the Vale of Clwyd Railway
Welcome to St Asaph - general introduction to St Asaph, usually accessed direct from scanning QR code plaques.