Royal Pier, Aberystwyth
The pier was opened in 1865 by the Aberystwyth Pier Promenade Company. Designed by Eugenius Birch, it was 244 metres long and cost £13,600. A 30-metre section of the pier was wrecked by a storm in 1866. The company sold the pier and the new owner repaired and extended the structure. It reopened to the public in 1872, now boasting a tearoom and band performances at its seaward end.
In 1896 the Prince of Wales opened a pavilion of iron and glass construction at the landward end. This provided entertainments for up to 3,000 spectators at time.
In the 20th century part of the pier was closed to the public following further damage, although the pavilion stayed open. In 1979 it was acquired by Don Leisure Ltd, which spent more than £500,000 on improvements in the 1980s and eventually reopened the pier itself to visitors.
Today the pavilion hosts a variety of attractions including a pub, restaurant, snooker room and nightclub.
At times the chatter of starlings can be heard beneath the deck as thousands of the birds roost on the ironwork below.
Postcode: SY23 2AZ