St George's Church, Llandudno
The roof of St Tudno’s Parish Church, on the Great Orme, was blown off during a hurricane in 1839. This church was quite remote from the developing town and very poorly attended, so it was decided to build a new church in the town. In 1840 St George’s Parish Church (pictured right) was built and consecrated. Built with public subscriptions to accommodate 450, it catered mainly for the Welsh-speaking community.
A public clock, the first in the town, was later added in memory of the Rev Edward Thomas Evans, the curate for six years.
A burial ground was established around the church but in only 14 years it was full, with only 58 graves registered. Two of the most interesting graves are to be seen just to the right when entering the churchyard. They belong to two mariners. The first, commemorates John Thomas, aged 48, master of the Cossack which was lost in Conway Bay on the 11 November 1845. The second belongs to Thomas Owen, aged 25, of Llanallgo, Anglesey, who drowned on 2 September 1847.
Due to dwindling congregations, St. George’s closed in 2002 and the newer Trinity Church became the parish church. St George’s was converted to office accommodation, now used by IT company RISC Group and design company blah d blah.
With thanks to John Lawson-Reay, of the Llandudno & Colwyn Bay History Society
Postcode: LL30 2HL