St Padarn's Church
The foundation stone of this church was laid in 1884, and the building was dedicated on 24 June 1885. The original church for the area was St Peris’ Church, but this is some 4km to the south-east of Llanberis. As the town’s population grew in tandem with slate quarrying, a place of worship was needed closer to the bulk of the population. Initially worship took place at a “club house” in the town. Then the congregation met at the Church House for 15 years, until the new church was opened.
The medieval font from St Peris was transferred here from the old church. The St Padarn to whom this church is dedicated may not have been the St Padarn who founded a monastery at Llanbadarn Fawr, near Aberystwyth.
The church’s construction was funded by the Assheton Smith family, which owned the rights to the slate quarried at nearby Dinorwig. The building was designed by Arthur Baker, a former pupil of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Construction was supervised by his cousin, Herbert John Baker, later knighted for his achievements as an architect in a dozen colonies of the British Empire.
Keeping things in the family a little longer, Arthur Baker’s son-in-law, Harold Hughes, was responsible for enlarging the church in 1914, to accommodate more worshippers. These works included the addition of the Lady Chapel, on the church’s north side, and completion of the nave.
Postcode: LL55 4TF View Location Map