St Paul’s Church, Conway Road, Colwyn Bay

St Paul’s Church, Conway Road, Colwyn Bay

Originally Colwyn Bay was part of the Parish of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos and the Rev Venables Williams looked after the souls of the area. In the cemetery of Llandrillo church are the graves of countless people who lived in Colwyn Bay. The Rev Venables Williams had expected his sphere of influence to be greatly enhanced with the building of St Paul’s Church. He was upset therefore when the new Parish of Colwyn Bay was formed by an Order in Council on 15 May 1893. You can read more about him here, in our mini tour of Llandrillo churchyard.

Old photo of St Paul's church in Colwyn BayThe Ecclesiastical Commissioners endowed the new parish with £120 a year. John Douglas designed the church. He also designed the vicarage, St David’s Church in Colwyn Bay, St John’s Church in Old Colwyn, Christ Church in Bryn-y-Maen and the original Colwyn Bay Hotel.

The nave of St Paul’s Church was consecrated on 13 July 1888 and the chancel on 7 April 1895. The tower was added 15 years later. This was to John Douglas’ design, after he had died.

The expenditure on the entire church was £12,800. The vicarage cost an additional £2,210. The vicar no longer lives in the vicarage beside the church but in a new house on Walshaw Avenue.

The south rose window in the church is the gift of the Dinglewood School pupils, a school which no longer exists. The pulpit was made by Edward Allen JP as his gift.

With thanks to Graham Roberts, of Colwyn Bay Civic Society and Colwyn Bay Heritage group for the supply of the old photo.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL29 7LG