St Sannan’s Church, Llansannan

theme page link buttonLink to French translationSt Sannan’s Church, Llansannan

This church’s dedication has led some to suggest that St Sannan founded a religious establishment here in the sixth century. He was an Irish monk who travelled widely and may have befriended Dewi (David), patron saint of Wales, and St Winefride’s father. It’s said that he was buried near her in Gwytherin (south west of Llansannan) after his death in Ireland. The village’s name denotes the walled enclosure (llan) of Sannan.

The church at Llansannan is listed in a tax record of 1254. A document from 1682 refers to a rood loft in the church – a gallery above the rood screen which separates the nave from the chancel.

The building as we see it today is the result of later modifications, especially in 1778 and 1878-1879. It features a double nave, chancel and a bellcote rising from between the gables of the two naves.

The pulpit dates from the 17th century and was moved here from St Luke’s Church in Liverpool in 1894. A chest dated 1683 is known as “Cist yr Eglwys” (the church chest).

Some of the memorials in the church date from the 17th century. A window in the south wall features, unusually, a photo of David Lees-Jones, of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. He died in December 1945, aged 21, after the Second World War had ended. He is named on the village’s war memorial and the Fleet Air Arm memorial in Hampshire.

Postcode: LL16 5HH    View Location Map

Parish website

Pilgrim's Way Tour Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button