Great Orme Tour coach 1958
Great Orme Tour 1958 coach, operating from North Parade, Llandudno
This vehicle dates from the heyday of British coach travel. In the decades after the Second World War, coach holidays gave many people an affordable alternative to rail travel. Coach travel became more attractive year after year, as the road network improved. Eventually the growth in private car ownership and package holidays overseas took their toll on coach travel.
Most of the coaches from that era have been scrapped. A few are kept as museum pieces, but this example is one of very few still used for daily service throughout most of the year. Owned by Alpine Travel of Llandudno, it carries visitors on a circuit of the Great Orme, along the cliff-hugging Victorian carriageway known as Marine Drive.
This coach is a Leyland Tiger Cub with Duple Britannia bodywork, built in 1958. It was originally in the fleet of Spencer Coachways of Manchester. It has 41 seats, a 5700cc diesel engine and a four-speed manual crash gearbox.