Tabernacle Baptist Chapel, Llandrindod Wells

PWMP logo

Link to Welsh translationTabernacle Baptist Chapel, Llandrindod Wells

The chapel building you see here today replaced an older one c.1990. Inside it are two war memorials which were originally in the previous chapel. See below for details of the chapel members who died in the world wars.

The first Baptist chapel in the town was built in 1876 at a cost of c.£900. It seated c.400 people and included a school room, baptistery and vestries. The land and £25 were donated by Mr and Mrs John Bennett of 3 Norton Villas. They weren’t Baptists.

Donations towards the construction costs were collected by the Rev John Jones, minister of the Rock Baptist Chapel, c.6km north of Llandrindod. He was minister at the Tabernacle from 1876 until 1897. In March 1904 he was one of 19 people who faced court action for refusing to pay tax on grounds of conscience. He was more than 80 years old, and an anonymous person paid his tax for him.

In 1907 a larger chapel was erected here, designed by E Peters Morris. He hailed from Newtown but moved to Llandrindod c.1890, where he was a deacon and secretary of the Baptist chapel. The new building cost £4,450 and occupied the corner plot where Dyffryn Road meets High Street.

The chapel was demolished c.1990 and replaced with a smaller building on the western end of the plot, the remainder of which was used for a car park and houses.

After the First and Second World Wars, the congregation erected plaques to commemorate men who had died in service and had worshipped at the Tabernacle. Among them were David, John and Edward Hope, three brothers who died in the First World War.

With thanks to Tom Evans

Postcode: LD1 6AN    View Location Map

Website of Tabernacle Baptist Church

To continue the Llandrindod Wells in WW1 tour, walk to the T-junction and turn left. The next QR codes are outside County Buildings, which stands beside the junction
POWYS WAR MEMORIAL PROJECT  Tour Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button
 
 

First World War

  • Berry, Walter Thomas, Private 31062. Died 04/12/1915 aged 19. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Helles Memorial. Son of Henry and Mary Ann Berry of Holly Cottage. Tom took part in the Gallipoli campaign and died of disease on the hospital ship Nevassa.
  • Bradley, Walter Victor, Private G/21503. Died 27/08/1918. Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment). Buried Peronne Road Cemetery. Son of Mr and Mrs Walter Bradley, of “Tŷ Cerrig”.
  • Hope, David Evan, Corporal. Died 27/03/1917 aged 27. David was a prisoner of war and died in Turkey. Son of Eliza Hope. Brother of Edward and John, below.
  • Hope, Edward Aaron, Corporal 148131. Died 22/08/1918 aged 21. Machine Gun Corps. Buried Varennes Military Cemetery. Son of Aaron and Eliza Hope.
  • Hope, John, Private 236726. Died 07/03/1917 aged 22. Herefordshire Regiment. Buried Kantara War Memorial Cemetery. Son of Aaron and Eliza Hope of 5, Brookland Road.
  • Mills, David Joseph, Private M2/174967. Died 19/11/1917 aged 32. Army Service Corps. Buried Dar Es Salaam War Cemetery. Son of William Mills of Clewedog Cottage, Penybont Station.
  • Reynolds, Arthur, Private 38139. Died 29/04/1918. Labour Corps.
  • Weale, Arthur Sidney, Private 25603. Died 01/06/1918. King's Shropshire Light Infantry. Buried Braine-le-Comte Communal Cemetery.

Second World War

  • Harper, Douglas Hayden, Sergeant 1196615. Died 20/03/1943 aged 32. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Runnymede Memorial. Son of William and Edith Harper.
  • Jones, Ernest Aelwyn Pryce, Petty Officer Cook D/MX 49557. Died 08/06/1940 aged 26. Royal Navy - HMS Glorious. Plymouth Naval Memorial.  Son of Louis and Elizabeth Jane Jones; husband of Megan Jones of Goodwick, Pembrokeshire.
  • Rees, Eric Albert Duggan, Captain 240499. Died 04/12/1944 aged 29. Royal Artillery. Buried Forli War Cemetery, Italy. Son of William John and Lottie Minnie Rees; husband of Dorothy Joyce Rees, of Blaby, Leicestershire. Eric and Dorothy lived at “Brampton”, Llandrindod Wells.