Tanronnen Inn, Beddgelert

button-theme-crimeTanronnen Inn, Beddgelert

This pub combines several earlier buildings. The name means “Beneath the ash tree” and has been spelled in many different ways over the centuries.

In the early 19th century, one part of the building was used as stables for the Beddgelert Hotel (later the Royal Goat). For a while it was a cottage, before becoming an inn in 1830. The inn and next-door cottage were bought in 1876 by the sitting tenant, William Evans, who was also a farmer.

An adjoining corner shop had been built in 1855. It was an ironmonger’s shop for many years.

Griffith Roberts, a former sailor, took up the Tanronnen’s licence in 1893. He owned a motor car by the time of the First World War. The vehicle sometimes took wedding parties on local outings. Griffith was also a local councillor.

A row broke out one evening in 1896 after Waunfawr quarryman Thomas Williams entered the pub for a pint after singing in a concert. He was joined by his brother Morris, who worked as a “river watcher” (a bailiff who patrolled against illegal fishing). Local resident Pierce Roberts declared that all river watchers should be drowned. This sparked an argument between two groups of men which ended in a brawl near the Saracen’s Head. Roberts and his friend were later fined and ordered to pay legal costs.

Griffith Roberts and his wife Catherine sold the Tanronnen Hotel and corner shop in 1920 for £2,185. The new owners soon incorporated the corner shop into the hotel and had a petrol pump installed outside.

Another ex-sailor, Humphrey Griffiths, bought the hotel in 1957. After his death in 1963, the Frederic Robinson brewery bought the building.

Postcode: LL55 4YB    View Location Map

Website of Tanronnen Inn