Ted yr Ogof memorial
Ted yr Ogof memorial, The Promenade, Llandudno
Ted yr Ogof was descended from a large family who lived in a cave after moving to Llandudno. His name means “Ted the Cave”, and was often anglicised as Ted Rogo.
Isaac and Miriam Jones lived in a natural cave on West Shore for 37 years after moving to Llandudno from Amlwch, Anglesey. This cave is now the garage of a house called St Petrock’s, on Marine Drive. The couple reared 15 children – including three sets of twins – in this cave!
In 1877 they were faced with eviction to make way for the new Marine Drive. They refused to move until the Marine Drive Company gave them a cottage. At their new home, on Marine Drive, they put up a shed from which Miriam provided refreshments for the passing visitors. Known as Miriam yr Ogof, she died there aged 91 in 1910.
Their great grandson, Edward Goodey Jones, was a larger-than-life character in Llandudno. He was one of 12 siblings born to Jack (“Jac yr Ogof”) and Mary Jones, of 25 Madoc Street. He and his six brothers served with the armed forces in the world wars. One, Frederick William, was killed in France in 1915. His youngest brother, Bernard Kitchener, was killed in Belgium in 1940.
Edward, known as Ted yr Ogof, was a boatman, probably one of the last who fished and took visitors on trips to the Great Orme lighthouse in the 1950s and 1960s. He could often be seen mending his nets on the prom. He would sell his catch off a handcart in Market Street. This memorial to him on the promenade is near the spot where he died aged 52 in June 1965, possibly of a heart attack. His grave is in the Great Orme cemetery.
The photographs on this page, by John Lawson-Reay, show Ted yr Ogof mending nets (above) and selling fish (left).
Postcode: LL30 2LG