The Anglesey Arms, Menai Bridge

link_to_welsh_translationlink_to_french_translation

The Anglesey Arms, Menai Bridge

This inn was the first to be built on Anglesey in response to the construction of Thomas Telford’s Menai Suspension Bridge, which opened in 1826. The name commemorates the Earl of Uxbridge (1768-1854), who lost a leg at the battle of Waterloo in 1815 and was created Marquis of Anglesey in 1815 as a reward for his leadership on the battlefield. The central meeting point of roads in Menai Bridge was named Uxbridge Square in his honour.

The Anglesey Arms was erected on the closest suitable ground to the bridge, with a view to tapping the new trade which was passing this way. Previously the commercial focalpoint of Porthaethwy, as the village was then known, was down at the shore where ferryboats departed for the often hazardous crossing of the Menai Strait.

The JW Lees brewery bought the building from William Ellis in 1935. He continued to manage it until 1945. One of the rooms is named the Ellis Room after him.

Images depicting local history, including the first carriage to cross the suspension bridge, are on display inside the Anglesey Arms. The crop used by the driver of that first carriage was previously displayed above the bar. It was donated to the nearby Thomas Telford Centre when the building was refurbished in 2011.

There have been tales of paranormal entities in the building, including the ghost of a small elderly man.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL59 5EA

Website of the Anglesey Arms

Other HAUNTED HiPoints in this region:
Anglesey Arms, Caernarfon – by the former “hanging tower”
Pensychnant House, near Penmaenmawr – ghost of maid who was murdered by gardener

Wales Coastal Path Label Navigation anticlockwise buttonNavigation clockwise button
National Cycle Network Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button
National Cycle Network Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button
Telfords Irish Road Tour label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button