The Barrow Almshouses, St Asaph
Almshouses were erected at this site c.1680. They were named after Bishop Barrow, then Bishop of St Asaph, who donated £12 for their construction. They were rebuilt in 1795 by Bishop Bagot.
The almshouses provided living accommodation for eight poor widows, four each from the local parishes of Llanerch and Cefn Meiriadog. The Bishop of St Asaph would allocate the homes, in consultation with the Dean and local families. The door in the centre of the frontage led into a narrow courtyard, from which each of the residents had independent access to their homes.
The photo shows poor widows drinking tea in the courtyard in 1890. Presumably they were the almshouses' entire occupants at the time.
The last women moved out c.1930. The building became the Barrow Arms public house, and later the Barrow Restaurant.
Postcode: LL17 0RD