The Cheese Market, Hay-on-Wye
Hay Cheese Market was built by Sir Joseph Bailey c.1835 as the manorial court room, with a market hall below. This grade II-listed building occupies a prominent position in the centre of town and has been restored by local people.
Sir Joseph Bailey also lived in Hay Castle at that time. He later bequeathed the Bailey Riverside Walk to the townsfolk of Hay.
During the First World War, the local council held weekly auctions of fruit and farm produce at the Old Cheese Market. At the first auction, in October 1915, 26 lots were sold.
Over the years the Cheese Market has had various uses, including a furniture showroom, a Masonic Lodge, a school hall and even a Roman Catholic church. It was also the site of many popular events and social functions, such as dances and ventriloquist shows in the mid-19th century. Its last occupant was Hay Photography Club. The building became run-down, and in 2008 Powys County Council decided to sell it. This triggered the formation of a Community Interest Company to buy and restore the Cheese Market.
In 2012 the Heritage Lottery Fund agreed to support the project to restore the building to its former glory and put it back into public use. The refurbished building reopened in April 2014, with the market space available to traders again. The first floor comprises a holiday apartment that sleeps two, available year-round (follow link below for details).
With thanks to Clare Purcell
Postcode: HR3 5AF View Location Map