The Griffin Inn, Dale
This three-storey building was erected, probably in the late 18th century, by the main local landowner, the Dale Castle estate.
In April 1900 the owner sought an “energetic couple” as tenants for the Griffin Inn, which would be altered for “running as hotel”. Three months later J Llewellyn Davies announced he had taken over the Griffin Hotel, which had “excellent stabling” and “good accommodation for visitors and cyclists”.
The job wasn’t plain sailing, however. In December 1900 a John Davies, of West Blockhouse fort, was ejected from the premises for being drunk. He responded by throwing a cake at the window. Finding that the cake wouldn’t break the glass, he smashed the window with his fist. He was later fined five shillings.
J Llewellyn Davies had another argument with a West Blockhouse resident in 1901. Summoned to court, Private Frank Bradley of the Worcestershire Regiment, the fort’s caretaker, claimed the row began after he was short-changed at the bar. Mr Davies said the real reason for the dispute was that he had spoken to the fort’s contractor about beer being sold there (illicitly). The case was dismissed.
A later landlord was George White, who had been the British Army’s champion swordsman for three years in a row. Sergeant-Major White had served with the Royal Dragoons in the Boer War and held the Queen’s Medal with six bars and King’s Medal with two bars. He died at the Griffin Hotel in 1915, aged 42. He had a military funeral at the local cemetery, with West Blockhouse soldiers among those attending.
Today the Griffin Inn runs its own fishing boat, Griffin Girl, which ensures the seafood cooked and served on the premises is as fresh as possible. In 2016 the Griffin Inn was named Best Seafood Restaurant in the Food Awards Wales.
Postcode: SA62 3RB View Location Map