The Horseshoe Inn, Llangattock

PWMP logoThe Horseshoe Inn, Llangattock

llangattock_horseshoe_innThis listed building is thought to date from the early 19th century. It was in use as an inn by the 1830s. The adjoining section, lower down the hill, was originally a coach house, where horse-drawn vehicles were kept.

In the old postcard on the right, courtesy of Crickhowell District Archive Centre, you can see part of the coach entrance on the far right.

William Rumsey, landlord of the Horseshoe Inn, joined the armed forces in the First World War, leaving his wife to manage the business alone. In 1916 she was taken to court for supplying beer to a child aged under 14 years. A police officer had caught a boy walking from the inn with a pint jug of beer hidden under his coat.

The boy had been sent with the jug by Alice Wallace, a local dressmaker whose husband was also on active service. The defence solicitor argued that it was harsh to take the women to court when their husbands were away on military service. Magistrates dismissed the case but Mrs Rumsey had to pay her legal costs.

A “smoking concert” was held at the Horseshoe Inn in May 1917 to entertain Private William Lewis, who was on leave after being in hospital. He played fullback for Crickhowell rugby club before joining the South Wales Borderers.

In November 1917 the Misses Rumsey of the Horseshoe Inn were appointed to help manage a fund which would provide Christmas gifts to local men who were away on active service.

With thanks to Crickhowell District Archive Centre

Postcode: NP8 1PA    View Location Map

Website of the Horseshoe Inn