The King’s Arms, Abergavenny
This building dates from the late 16th century, when it was a coaching inn. It gives us an insight into Abergavenny’s appearance before its extensive rebuilding in the Georgian period. The King’s Arms was modified many times in the three centuries that followed its building, and the stone frontage may have replaced a timber-framed original.
On the frontage, at first-floor level, is a large and colourful plaster relief of King Charles II’s coat of arms (pictured right). Abergavenny’s first post office was located here.
In 1817 the 15th Hussars were stationed at the King’s Arms. Two years earlier the regiment had fought at the Battle of Waterloo. The soldiers' names, scratched on a beam in the pub, can still be seen.
The pub also has a history of brewing its own beer. According to writer and historian Chris Barber, in The Seven Hills of Abergavenny, the pub was taken over by a Thomas Delafield in 1862 and became noted for Delafied’s ales. Today drinkers can choose real ales, each named after one of the local mountains, from the pub’s own micro-brewery, the Tudor Brewery.
The pub also supports local artists, whose work can be seen in rooms on the ground floor.
Over the years, many people have claimed they saw the ghost of a woman dressed in black in the pub, usually on the staircase.
Postcode: NP7 5AA
Other HAUNTED HiPoints in this region:
Skirrid Mountain Inn, near Abergavenny - said to be haunted by convicts hanged there
Boat Inn, Chepstow – customers in one area are warned they may feel a “sudden shiver”
Ye Olde Murenger House, Newport - apparition appears in one of the upper windows