The Morgan Arcade, Cardiff
This arcade (pictured right in 1920) was originally known as the New Central Arcade. Near its eastern end, it splits in two to flow around an unusual “island” of shops.
It was built from 1896 to 1899 by the Cardiff Arcade Company, which had previously created the Royal and Castle arcades. It was renamed the Morgan Arcade, marking the close connection between the development of the arcade and the David Morgan department store, immediately north of the arcade.
Entrepreneur David Morgan (1833-1919) opened a drapery shop in The Hayes in 1879. In 1892 he became a director of the Cardiff Arcade Company. As the New Central Arcade neared completion, he opened a second store on St Mary Street. A connection was provided between the rear of this store and the new arcade. The department store closed in 2005.
Edwin Seward, architect of the New Central Arcade, was later commissioned to design an extension which would merge David Morgan’s two stores into one shop, which became the biggest independent department store in Wales. Seward designed many other buildings in the Cardiff area including the Cardiff Royal Infirmary and 33 St Mary Street, by the entrance to the Morgan Arcade.
Postcode: CF10 1AA (St Mary Street entrance) View Location Map