The Mount Stewart Hotel

link_to_french_translationThe Mount Stewart Hotel, Cayley Promenade

This imposing building, on a corner overlooking the sea, was constructed as an hotel before the First World War. During the Second World War it was used by the Ministry of Food as the headquarters of its Wheat Commission. From here, officials ensured that people fighting in Britain’s armed services were kept supplied with wheat, grain, oats etc.

Also operating from the Mount Stewart was the Cereal Products Division, which was concerned mainly with the people of Great Britain who remained at home. The first job of the secretaries was to make a list of all the flour mills and bakeries in the British Isles. A Mr Law, who owned the Crawford & Law flour mill in Scotland, was in charge and was reputed to look just like Anthony Eden, the Foreign Secretary. Every Saturday evening a band played in the lounge area and the room was always packed with Ministry of Food civil servants.

After the war, the Ministry officials handed the building back to its owner, Mr Howarth, who ran it for a few more years before selling it on. In the early 1950s the owners commissioned Clement Beretta (1910-2005) who was half Italian and lived in Rhosneigr to transform the dining room with wood panelling to a design formulated by him. This has now gone, but the hotel remains in business.

With thank to Graham Roberts, of Colwyn Bay Civic Society. His book ‘Colwyn Bay at War, from Old Photographs’, is published by Amberley Publishing.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL28 4EP

Website of The Mount Stewart Hotel

Wales Coastal Path Label Navigation anticlockwise buttonNavigation clockwise button