The Old China House, St Asaph

Cadwyn Clwyd Logo

The Old China House, St Asaph

Opposite the Earthworks Pottery shop stands the The Old China House, probably St Asaph’s oldest house. It’s now a private dwelling – please don’t disturb the residents!

old photo of old china houseThe building is thought to date back to 1560 and to have been associated with the nearby parish church. Inside is a priest hole – a space where Catholic priests could hide during the period when they were hunted, jailed and executed by the Protestant authorities.

Lower Street twists as it passes the corner of this building, hence this spot is known locally as “the awkward corner”. The photo on the right was taken in 1906.

The building has had various names over the centuries including Plas Llwyd, Penyrentri, China House, Old China Shop and Pot Shop. A crockery theme connects three of those names, and many fragments of old pottery and clay pipes have been found in the ground in the vicinity.

Earthworks Pottery continues the theme. On the premises, potter Wendy Gill makes distinctive teapots, jugs, jars, vases, bowls, studio pottery and other ware. Her mother-in-law, Dorothy Stopes, established Kentigern Pottery here in the late 1960s, mainly to sell work by the Guild of North Wales Potters. The pottery now occupies two adjoining shops which have had many previous uses, including hairdressing and sale of sweets and televisions.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL17 0SG

Website of Earthworks Pottery