The Talardy Hotel, St Asaph

The Talardy Hotel, St Asaph

The present Talardy Hotel is a Georgian building, accompanied by a walled garden and Victorian glasshouse. It reopened in August 2012 after major refurbishment.

“Talar” is a Welsh term for a headland. The “dy” suffix comes from “tŷ”, which means house. But the building’s site, on the valley floor, was clearly never a promontory by the sea or river. Prof Hywel Wyn Owen explains that the original meaning of “talar” was the margin of land at the end of a field where the plough would be turned to dig the next furrow. It evolved to mean also a boundary.

Talar was the name of a township in Llanelwy, recorded as Talâr in 1560 and Talare in 1608. There’s even a reference to Talaard in 1292, which could relate to the same place.

The polymath Edward Lhuyd (1660-1709) described the Talardy at St Asaph as a “house of note” in a book published c.1700.

With thanks to Prof Hywel Wyn Owen, of the Welsh Place-Name Society

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL17 QHY 

Website of The Talardy