The White Lion, Chepstow
The White Lion, Bank Street, Chepstow
The earliest landlord of this inn who is documented today was a Hugh Masone, in 1644. Various alterations were made to the building, especially in the 19th century. In its present form it has three storeys, and a two-storey wing.
The sign depicting a white lion may be based on the heraldic badge of the Mowbray family, which once held Chepstow Castle. The pub has been called the White Lion for two centuries.
The pub had earlier been known by other names. Magpie and Pye Corner are documented.
Chepstow’s post office was in this vicinity from 1840-1880, possibly in the White Lion. The open space became known as Post Office Square. Later it was referred to as White Lion Square, and in 1871 the buildings around the square were numbered as part of Bank Street.
A plaque immediately outside the pub denotes the former location of one of the town’s water pumps, which were important to Chepstow residents because there were always water supply problems. People exchanged gossip while waiting to fill their jugs or other receptacles.
The pub once occupied a commerically strategic position beside the Town Gate, which was the only entrance to the town through the Port Wall built in the 13th century to enclose the town and its riverfront. The building over the arch was remodelled in 1524 to include a prison. Traffic travelling between Wales and England continued to pass through the arch until a new road was opened in 1966.
Postcode: NP16 5EL