The Tin Shed museum, Laugharne
The Tin Shed museum, Clifton Street, Laugharne
This building was erected by a Jim Isaacs as a garage in 1933. Its construction cost £50, using second-hand materials. It was used to store Ministry of Defence vehicles in the Second World War.
After the war it was used for various civilian purposes. Motorcyclist Bob Berry serviced some of his bikes here while undertaking speed-record attempts as nearby Pendine Sands. It was claimed that he reached 300kph (186mph) during test runs on a streamlined bike (an OEC-Temple) which is now in the Museum of Speed at Pendine. Previously he had been injured, in 1953, when riding a bike on the sands.
Jim Isaacs' son Andrew inherited the former garage and used it as a stable for his horse. In 2009 he and a fellow collector, Seimon Pugh-Jones, staged an exhibition of wartime memorabilia in the building. Buoyed by the exhibition’s success, they restored the building to its pre-war appearance and opened the Tin Shed Museum here in 2011.
Many of the museum’s exhibits convey how civilians lived their lives in wartime Britain. A 1940s cottage and an original Second World War air-raid shelter have been erected in the garden. The museum’s collection includes a camera bought at a car boot sale in 2012 which may have belonged to Sgt Jim Mapham of the Army Film and Photographic Unit. He took one of the most widely published photos of the D-Day landings.
The Tin Shed is also a venue for performances of music and poetry. It is adjacent to Laugharne war memorial.
Postcode: SA33 4QG View Location Map