Tremadog church and Coadestone arch

Tremadog church and Coadestone arch

The church, built in 1811, was an important part of William Madocks’ model settlement at Tremadog. This was where he and other affluent members of society worshipped. Some of them questioned his decision to provide the ornate Peniel Chapel, which is on the opposite side of the road. Madocks appreciated that many of his workers were Nonconformists and wanted to ensure that they attended regular worship.

The church closed in 1995 and, following renovation, is now a community facility managed by Cyfeillion Cadw Tremadog.

At the front of the churchyard stands a highly decorated arch. It is of Coadestone, a material made in London from 1769 using a clay-like substance which could be sculpted for statues or architectural features.

Where is this HiPoint?

Website of Cyfeillion Cadw Tremadog

National Cycle Network Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button