Twyn Community Centre, Caerphilly
Twyn Community Centre
This building, which features a distinctive tower, was erected in 1791 as the Twyn Methodist Chapel. It has had many different uses. It became a community centre in 1974 and today is also home to Caerphilly Town Council.
Behind the building was a hall which hosted a cheese market. Farmers from the surrounding countryside would bring their home-made cheese here to sell to the public. This was typically a crumbly white cheese. Eventually it became known as Caerphilly cheese. The hall was demolished in the post-war decades to enable Market Street to be widened and straightened, where previously there was a dog-leg in the road between the hall and Manchester House.
The photo shows the cheese market hall in 1951. The south gable of what’s now the Twyn Community Centre is on the left, Manchester House on the right.
With thanks to Richard Williams, of Caerphilly Local History Society
Postcode: CF83 1JL