Tŷn-y-Coed Inn, Capel Curig
This inn was built to provide accommodation for the growing numbers of visitors to the area in the 19th century, probably after the improvements made to what is now the A5 road by Thomas Telford and the creation of the Llanberis Pass road in 1828. The oldest part of the inn dates from before 1840. The 1841 the census recorded that Eleanor Williams was the publican.
The inn became known as the Tŷn-y-Coed Hotel. The name means “House in the Forest”. Tŷ is Welsh for house and Coed means woods or forest.
It’s likely that a building has stood on this site since the late 18th century, when the land was part of the holding of Cefn y Scubell (whose farm building is high above the present site in what is now forestry). The holding was part of the Gwydir estate, and from 1786 to 1806 or later the tenant farmer was Catherine Davies.
It’s thought that early Noncomformists met at the Tŷn-y-Coed, before it became an inn. Preaching began in a small way in Capel Curig in c.1786, the first base being Ysgubor Wen (now a derelict cottage in the forestry south of the A5). Chapel meetings were held for about 20 years at Tŷn-y-Coed, where an Owen and Mary Evans lived until they and the Nonconformists were evicted by the landlord c.1813.
Since the 1950s a horse-drawn carriage has stood outside the hotel, a landmark for countless visitors.
With thanks to Harvey Lloyd, of the Friends of St Julitta'sWhere is this HiPoint?
Postcode: LL24 0EE