Victoria Pier, Colwyn Bay
This pier, unlike others on the North Wales coast, was not designed as a landing point for passenger ships. It was conceived as an entertainment venue and was less than 100 metres long when it opened in 1900. The pavilion had a 2,500-seat theatre, shops and a restaurant. Adelina Patti, one of the world’s most renowned operatic sopranos in her day, took part in the opening performance.
The pier was extended to 229 metres in length and an additional, 600-seat Bijou Theatre opened in 1916. The pavilion was detroyed by fire in 1922. Its replacement, built in 1923, burned down in 1933. Two months later the same fate befell the Bijou Theatre.
The final pavilion, opened in 1934, incorporated Art Deco features and murals by the artist Eric Ravilious (1903-42). Many of those features were destroyed or obscured in post-war refurbishments. Entertainers who performed at the pier in this period included comedians Ken Dodd and Morecambe & Wise, and singers Harry Secombe and Elvis Costello.
The pier has been under threat of demolition at various times since the mid-1980s. It has been closed for most of the time since then, but occasionally reopened to the public during attempts to revive it as a tourist attraction.
Postcode: LL29 8HH