Ysgol Maelgwn, Llandudno Junction

Ysgol Maelgwn, Llandudno Junction

This school, originally Llandudno Junction County School, was opened by Lord Stanley of Alderley on 28 October 1907. There were 205 pupils. Since June 1904 the children had been taught at the Congregational Schoolroom, but the space available was always too small.

Today the school, known as Ysgol Maelgwn, provides primary education in Welsh-medium and English-medium streams.

The following information is drawn from the school’s surviving log book for 1904 to 1942.

A few months after the new school opened, pupils held two concerts which raised more than £20. A piano was bought for £8 and a school fund set up with the rest of the money. In 1911 “the newest type” of Singer sewing machine “was chosen for the girls”, valued at £7. A rain gauge was set up in the garden in 1913.

Photo of Broad Street School soccer teamA 1909 inspection report records that pupils studied arithmetic, composition, reading, penmanship, freehand drawing, “cardboard work and clay modelling”, geography, needlework (“the making and mending of garments”), domestic economy (girls) and gardening & woodwork (boys). “Laundry classes” began in 1913. In May 1912 the school received a £3 grant to buy more cardboard. “All the children who take Cardboard seem delighted with the work.”

The boys played football and cricket, the girls hockey and “round games”. The photo shows the school football team in 1952-53. It was taken by Harry Rogers Jones and is shown here by kind permission of David Rogers Jones, who is in the picture and whose granny, Mrs S Rogers Jones, was a school governor in its early decades.

On St David’s Day 1926 there were “lessons on patriotism”. The log’s first entry in Welsh is dated 24 to 28 February 1930, “Yr Wythnos Genedlaethol” (National Week), when all forms had lessons on Welsh literature, language, music and history.

New buildings were added in June 1931 after the school roll increased from 148 in 1928 to 235 in 1930. Pupils from several areas of England arrived in warime (follow the link below for more information).

Electricity was installed in 1931. Three years later teacher Annie Roberts had “an accident with an electric lamp dinner time”.

Where is this HiPoint?

Postcode: LL31 9HG

Choose a category for more information on:
School trips and holidays
Health
Wartime at the school