HistoryPoints News

Mar 12, 2014

Lord didn't have mercy on Aber

Residents of Ceredigion have never forgiven Lord Beeching for shutting the railway from Aberystwyth to Lampeter and Carmarthen, but his name ...

Category: General
Posted by: RhodriC

is now writ large on a pub frontage opposite Aberystwyth rail station. The pub was re-named Lord Beeching's in the 1990s but its railway associations go back much further - it was named the Railway Inn soon after the first passenger train arrived in Aberystwyth in 1864. Today the walls are adorned with railway memorabilia. For more on this story, scan the HistoryPoints QR codes in the window, or click here.