Glamorgan Greats banners, Sophia Gardens
This area of the SSE SWALEC, beneath the Media Centre and Cathedral Road stand, celebrates the achievements of some of Glamorgan’s finest players. Look up to see the players’ banners. You can view a gallery of photos of the players below this text.
Those featured include:
- Alan Jones (played for Glamorgan 1957 to 1983), who scored the most runs in a career (34,056 in total)
- Don Shepherd (played 1950-1972) – most wickets in a career (2,174 in total)
- Peter Walker (played 1956-1972) – most catches in a career (656 in total)
- Matthew Maynard (played 1985-2005) – most hundreds in a career (54 hundreds in total)
- Eifion Jones (played 1961-1983) – highest number of wicket-keeping dismissals (913 in total)
- Hugh Morris (played 1981-1997) – most runs in a single season (2,276 runs in the 1990 season)
Cricket is not just a game played by men, and there are thriving women’s teams in the area. The England women’s team have played here several times. Indeed, in 2015 the men and women of England met their counterparts from Australia in back-to-back Twenty20 matches with England being victorious in both games.
Need help to find Sophia Gardens? Click here for a map
Click a thumbnail to view large version of image. Hover mouse over large image to show gallery navigation.