Llanfairpwll war memorial SWW
The following men died in the Second World War while in service.
- Burrows, Harry, Sapper, Sapper 1887808. Died 02/03/1943 aged 31.Royal Engineers. Buried Tripoli War Cemetery. Son of Joseph Edward and Elizabeth Burrows of Wern.
- Davies, Meilir Glyn, Purser. Died 27/10/1941 aged 42. Merchant Navy, MV Mary Slessor. Buried Llanfairpwll (St Mary) Churchyard. Son of John and Elizabeth Davies; husband of Elizabeth Enid Davies of Min-y-Don.
- Hughes, Edward John, Ordinary Seaman D/JX 416212. Died 25/04/1943 aged 18. Royal Navy HMLCG (L) 15. Buried Milford Haven Cemetery. Son of William and Mary Hughes of Maeshyfryd. Edward was aboard one of a pair of Landing Craft Gun vessels being delivered from a shipyard in Belfast to Falmouth. There were 79 Royal Marines and sailors on board. The vessels were denied shelter from a gale at Fishguard Harbour, and made for Milford Haven. After rounding St Ann's Head, both landing craft sank and bodies were washed ashore in Freshwater Bay. More information is available on our page about the site of the tragedy.
- Hughes, Griffith, Fireman. Died 04/01/1940 aged 39. Merchant Navy – SS Sprayville (Liverpool). Of Tai’r Lôn. Found drowned at Weston Point, Runcorn. Not listed on Commonwealth War Graves Commission database.
- Jones, Robert Owen, Second Engineer. Died 11/10/1944 aged 30. Merchant Navy, SS Pamela.Tower Hill Memorial. Son of Owen and Jane Jones; husband of Katherine McKenzie Jones of Foelcraig.
- Owen, Alfred Victor, Private 14205177. Died 21/07/1944 aged 21. Welsh Regiment. Buried Bayeux War Cemetery. Son of Hugh Bates Owen and Emily Owen of Rhos-y-Gad.
- Picton, George Herbert, Able Seaman C/JX253991. Died 20/12/1943 aged 29. Royal Navy. Buried Llanfairpwll (St Mary) Churchyard. Son of Thomas and Mary Picton of Maenafon.
- Strange, William George, Leading Aircraftman 1429778. Died 23/05/1942 aged 38. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried City of London Cemetery.Son of Charles and Caroline S Strange, of East Ham; husband of Elizabeth Houston Strange of Tŷ Newydd.
- Prewer, David, Sergeant 1681110. Died 21/04/1944 aged 22. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Runnymede Memorial. Son of Fred John and Elizabeth Lewis Prewer of Pen Bryn Coch.
- Bowen, William Morris, Second Mate. Died 29/12/40 aged 52. Merchant Navy – SS S.N.A.10 (Liverpool). Born Liverpool. Last place of abode: Sarn Fraint. Died at the Royal Infirmary, Sunderland as a result of a street accident. Not listed on Commonwealth War Graves Commission database.
- Evans, Thomas, chief officer. Died 23/09/1940 aged 42. Merchant Navy – MV Invershannon (Glasgow). Tower Hill Memorial. Born Anglesey to Thomas and Rose Evans; husband of Margaret Evans, of Benllech Bay. Lost when the Invershannon was torpedoed by German submarine U-99, 480 miles west of Bloody Foreland, Ireland.
- Williams, R. Able Seaman. Died aged 28. Royal Navy. Of Tan-y-Bryn.