The Crown Inn, Llwyndafydd
The Crown Inn, Llwyndafydd, near New Quay
This tavern has long been a focalpoint of the village of Llwyndafydd. Henry Tudor’s army reputedly rested in the vicinity on its long march from Pembrokeshire to the Battle of Bosworth in 1485.
The village’s name was recorded as Llwyn David in 1488 and llwyn Davydd in the 16th century. Llwyndafydd means “Dafydd’s grove”, and the settlement was associated with a farm, possibly called Llwyn, which was owned by Dafydd ab Ieuan (or Dafydd ab Ifan) in the 15th century.
Legend has it that Henry, after being crowned King Henry VII, sent Dafydd a drinking horn which was lavishly decorated with symbols of Henry’s lineage.
The Crown Inn dates from a later era. The building was in use as an inn by 1841. It may have replaced an earlier building here, the site being so central to the village. Auctions were held at the inn to sell local farms and their contents, including the livestock. In 1907 the Crown Inn itself was the main lot in an auction held at the tavern. The property included a stable and storehouse and more than six acres of south-facing farmland.
The Crown Inn is said to be haunted by several spirits, including one relating to the smuggling which used to happen in this secluded valley. Occupants of the building say they have heard voices of a woman and, separately, a baby calling when nobody else was present.
With thanks to Richard Morgan of the Welsh Place-Name Society for place-name information
Postcode: SA44 6BU View Location Map