Llanbrynmair war memorial
The war memorial near Llanbrynmair Community Centre commemorates local people who died in the First and Second World Wars. See below for their details.
The information below includes details of several men who died in the First World War and had local connections but are not named on the war memorial.
The memorial was unveiled in 1921 in the centre of the village. It was moved to its present location in the 1980s.
With thanks to Rab Jones
Where shown, click this icon for more details:
Postcode: SY19 7DH View Location Map
First World War
- Craig, Sidney, Gunner 92445. Died 02/11/1918. Royal Garrison Artillery. Buried Pommereuil British Cemetery. Son of Peter and Betsy Craig; husband of Martha Craig (nee Rowlands) of Capel Bach, Bont, Llanbrynmair. Born in Forfarshire. Was a gamekeeper before enlisting. Left two young children. His brother James Lyall Craig also fell.
- Daniels, John William, Air Mechanic 2nd Class 93596. Died 23/10/1918 aged 32. Royal Air Force. Buried Giavera British Cemetery. Son of William and Mary Anne Daniels of Post Office, Llanbrynmair. Was the village postmaster before the war.
- Evans, Daniel Goronwy, Private PLY/1843(S). Died of pneumonia 18/10/1918 aged 25. Royal Marine Light Infantry - HMS Glory. Buried Archangel Allied Cemetery. Son of Evan Evans and Margaret Evans of Pentre Lludw, Llanbrynmair. Worked as a waggoner at Tynygors farm.
- Evans, David Howell, Private 203536. Died 15/10/1918 aged 25. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Niederzwehren Cemetery. Son of Evan and Ann Evans of Blaengwm, Carno. Not named on Llanbrynmair war memorial.
- Evans, David William, Private 291417. Died 20/09/1918 aged 28. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Jerusalem Memorial. Son of Griffith Evans of Waenfawr, Pennant, Llanbrynmair.
- Evans, John Ellis, Private 202940. Died 10/05/1918 aged 20. Welsh Regiment. Buried Martinsart British Cemetery. Son of Morris and Mary Margaret Evans of Henefail, Talerddig, Llanbrynmair.
- Evans, John Rowland, Private 291699. Died of scarlet fever at Chester Hospital on 14/01/1917. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Son of farmer John Rowland Evans and wife Anne (nee Jones)., of Tŷ Uchaf, Llanbrynmair. Buried Llanbrynmair Congregational Chapelyard, Dolfach. Son of John Evans of Tŷ Uchaf, Llanbrynmair.
- Howell, Richard, Private 41198. Died 01/03/1917 aged 35. The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Buried Etaples Military Cemetery. Son of Richard and Jane Howell of Tripp Cottage, Llanbrynmair. Son of railway porter Richard Howells and wife Jane (nee Thomas) of Tripp Cottage, Llanbrynmair.
- Hughes, Asa Llewellyn, Private 131. Died 29/07/1916 aged 26. Australian Infantry. Mentioned in Despatches in October 1915 for successfully reconnoitring in front of the Apex trenches, Gallipoli, Turkey. Villers-Bretonneux Memorial. Son of David and Catherine Hughes. Born in Llanbrynmair. Lived at Dafar Newydd. Emigrated to Australia in 1912. Worked as a carpenter. Enlisted at Ipswich, Queensland.
- Hughes, David, Private 55223. Died 28/09/1917 aged 37. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.Son of lead miner Evan Hughes and wife Sarah (nee Jones) of Llanbrynmair; husband of Catherine Hughes (nee Thomas). Raised by his grandmother, Mary Hughes. Was a chauffeur to Daniel Wintringham Stable, who lost a son and a nephew in the war (below).
- Hughes, Isaac Breese, Private 25381. Died 23/10/1918 aged 28. South Wales Borderers. Buried Highland Cemetery. Son of John Griffith Hughes and Martha Hughes (nee Owens), of Pandy, Llanbrynmair. Worked as a rural postman.
- Hughes, William, Private 291246. Died 26/03/1917. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Jerusalem Memorial. Son of Henry Hughes and Harriet Hughes (nee Hucker), of Dolyronnen, Llanbrynmair.
- Jones, Richard Lewis, Private 291797. Died 28/12/1917 aged 32. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Jerusalem War Cemetery. Son of Maurice and Anne Jones of Caetwpa, Llanbrynmair. Not named on Llanbrynmair war memorial.
- Jones, John Peter, Lance Corporal 36998. Died 23/08/1918. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Aveluy Wood Cemetery. Son of Peter and Jane Jones of Llwyncelyn, Llanbrynmair. Worked as a farm labourer.
- Peate, John, Lieutenant. Died 08/09/1916 aged 26. Gloucestershire Regiment. Thiepval Memorial. Son of Margaret Peate; husband of Ethel Gertrude Peate (nee Hicks). Raised by his grandmother Elizabeth Peate at Dolfach. Was an assistant master at Tenby County School (later Greenhill School).
- Stable, Loscombe Law, Captain. Died 26/10/1914 aged 28. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Pont-du-Hem Military Cemetery. Eldest son of lawyer Daniel Wintringham Stable and wife Gertrude Mary Stable (nee Law) of Plas Llwyn Owen, Llanbrynmair. It was reported that he died of wounds sustained when trying to rescue one of his own wounded men, a Private Ellis.
- Stable, Russell Colin, Second Lieutenant. Died 09/10/1917. Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Tyne Cot Memorial. Son of Major Russell Loscombe Stable and first wife Marian Emma Stable (nee Campbell). First cousin of Loscombe, above.
- Thomas, Abram, Private 4382. Died of tuberculosis on 15/09/1916 aged 34. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Newport (St. Woolos) Cemetery. Son of Evan Thomas and Mary Thomas (nee Peate) of Penddol, Llanbrynmair. Worked as a shoemaker. Winner of three bardic chairs.
- Thomas, John Richard, Private 291241. Died 06/11/1917 aged 28. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Jerusalem Memorial. Son of John Thomas and wife Margaret Thomas (nee Richards), of Pen Capel, Llanerfyl, and later of Hen Efail, Llangadfan. John moved to Llanbrynmair to work as a farm labourer, working at Rhydymeirch in 1911.
- Tudor, William, Private 291251. Died 26/03/1917 aged 21. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Jerusalem Memorial. Lived at Tynewydd, Dylife.
- Watkin, Moses Thomas, Private 55529. Died 31/07/1917 aged 26. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. Son of Mr J. Watkin of Bont, Dolgadfan, Llanbrynmair.
Second World War
- Evans, Gwilym Richard, Sergeant 1196508. Died 24/05/1943 aged 23. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Reichswald Forest War Cemetery. Son of Richard and Mary Louisa Evans of Llanbrynmair.
- Hughes, John Cledwyn, Ordinary Seaman P/JX 227718. Died 23/05/1941 aged 21. Royal Navy – HMS Fiji. Portsmouth Naval Memorial. Son of Hugh Alfred and Kathleen Hughes of Llanbrynmair.