Melin Tregwynt, near Fishguard

button-theme-textileLink to Welsh translationLink to French translationMelin Tregwynt, St Nicholas, near Fishguard

This mill dates from the 18th century. It originally belonged to the Harris family of Tregwynt Mansion, owners of much of the land in the area.

Old photo of Henry and Howard Griffiths at Melin TregwyntThe Victorian waterwheel, inside one of the buildings, is still in place. One of the roof trusses is dated 1819. Dyffryn Mill, as it was then known, ground corn before it was converted into a pandy – a fulling mill. The fulling process improves the thickness and texture of woollen fabrics. Fulling mills had mechanical wooden hammers to beat the cloth.

The mill also had machines for spinning, warping and weaving wool, to produce blankets and various textiles for making clothes. In the early decades it mainly catered for local people, including farmers who wanted blankets made from their sheep’s wool.

Photo of warping wheel at Melin TregwyntHenry Griffiths of Efailwen bought the mill for £760 in 1912, after his cousin taught him to weave. He and his wife Esther changed the name to Tregwynt Mill. Esther’s early death led to their younger son, Howard, leaving school at 14 to work in the mill. Henry and Howard are pictured at work above. The middle photo shows the mill’s warping wheel.

Howard later ran the mill with the help of his wife Eluned. Their son Eifion, with his wife Amanda, took over Melin Tregwynt’s operation in 1986. When their time for semi-retirement approached, they decided not to sell the business because they feared that a new owner could eventually close the mill and use the property for other purposes. Instead, they transferred ownership of the business to the mill staff in 2022.

Photo of Melin Tregwynt's Jemima pattern fabric

The mill continues to produce distinctive clothing, blankets, cushions and accessories. One of the mill’s fabrics is inspired by the cross of Dewi Sant (St David). Another (see lowest photo) is named Jemima after the local woman whose actions in 1797 helped to nip Britain’s last invasion in the bud, as you can read on our page about the Last Invasion tapestry in Fishguard library.

About the place-name:
The elements are probably tref ‘farm’ and gwynt ‘wind’, a suitable name for a high location, writes Prof Dai Thorne.

Postcode: SA62 5UX    View Location Map

Website of Melin Tregwynt

National Cycle Network Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button