The Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society
The Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society, founded in 1905, promotes and publishes research into the county's history and archaeology. It encourages preservation of local records, antiquities and objects of archaeological interest, and holds monthly meetings along with visits to historic places and a themed annual conference. Members receive the society's journal and a monthly online newsletter.
A project by the society from 2021 to 2023 focused on raising awareness of the story of Griffith Jones and his successors whose work created a remarkable surge in literacy and piety across Wales in the 18th century. The project included creation of HistoryPoints web pages with associated QR codes at locations which are connected to that story.
Llanddowror church - Griffith Jones attracted huge congregations as priest here from 1716
Eglwys Gymyn church – features include a medieval preaching cross and an Ogham-inscribed stone
Pendine chapel - dedicated to Peter Williams, whose affordable Bible transformed Welsh literacy
Laugharne church – burial place of poet Dylan Thomas. Vermin heads hanged from the ‘fox tree’
Former farmers’ co-op, St Clears - built 1910 and produced animal feed
Pentre farm, St Clears - belonged to ‘Good’ Sir John Philipps, sponsor of schools for poor children
Pant-dwfn, St Clears - childhood home of Methodist leaders Thomas & David Charles
Derllys & John Vaughan - he used his wealth to improve education and found free libraries
Capel Heol Dŵr, Carmarthen - on the site where Peter Williams opened his house for worship
Llandyfaelog & Peter Williams - he was famed for his affordable Bibles
Llandyfaelog church - burial place of Peter Williams. Church is mainly medieval
Llansadwrnen church - Latin inscription on large stone is thought to relate to a 6thC Irish elite