The Bridge End Inn, Crickhowell
Much of the Bridge End Inn dates from the 19th century. Take a closer look at the western end, nearest to the historic Crickhowell Bridge. This part of the pub was once a toll house, possibly built in the 18th century.
The Breconshire Turnpike Trust used to hold auctions to let its toll gates. In 1811 the annual rent was set at £416 for the Pontcumbeth and Crickhowell Bridge Gates, along with the “Pontbrynhirt Side-Gate”. By 1817 the rent had reduced to £370 but in 1826 the same gates commanded a rent of £665.
The inn was known as the Bridgend Hotel in the late Victorian era, when John Williams was landlord and owner. He had a local reputation as a healer. In 1894 the press reported that M Pasteur of Paris, who “professed” to be able to cure rabies, had a Breconshire rival – John Williams – whose claimed remedy was “backed up by many testimonials”. He was not seeking money for his remedy but “aspires to be a public benefactor”.
After Mr Williams died in 1907, the inn was kept by his widow Ann Williams. In May 1915 she provided a set of dry clothes for a priest who had saved a child from drowning. The Rev D Adams was visiting Crickhowell on a Sunday School outing from Gwernllwyn independent chapel in Dowlais when a child was seen, floating face down on a deep section of the river Usk. Mr Adams jumped in “without waiting to divest himself of any clothing”.
Mrs Williams died two months later, aged 82. The inn’s license was transferred to her niece, Miss Sarah Watkins, who had inherited the building. She had lived there for several years with Mrs Williams. In December 1915 she married Thomas Thomas of Mountain Ash, but he died seven months later after a sudden illness.
Postcode: NP8 1AR View Location Map