This small church was built c.1717 for the Lloyd family of nearby Trevor Hall. Elizabeth Lloyd endowed it with £10 per annum for upkeep and 40 shillings annually for poor children’s education.
The church was consecrated in 1772, when it became a chapel of ease for other churches in Trevor. Today it is in the Llangollen parish of the Church in Wales. Services are held here each Sunday.
According to tradition, there was a chapel on the same spot in medieval times, served by Valle Crucis Abbey (north of Llangollen) and used in the 15th century by John Trevor, Bishop of St Asaph. He lived at Trevor Hall.
In 1837 the east window of Trevor Church was torn apart by a gale while a service was taking place – terrifying worshippers. New windows were installed in 1841.
One of the church’s stained-glass windows, depicting Timothy reading the Scriptures, was installed in Llantysilio Church in 1864 and moved to Trevor Church in 1893. It commemorates Charlotte Andrew of Plas Newydd, Llangollen, who worshipped at Trevor Church. She and her spinster partner Amelia Lolley had tried to continue the traditions established at Plas Newydd by the celebrated Ladies of Llangollen.
In Victorian times, the church was sometimes too small to meet the demand. In November 1888, some worshippers had to stand around the doorway when the Harvest Thanksgiving service was held in English. It had been held in Welsh the previous evening, also to a large congregation.
With thanks to Clwyd-Powys Archaeological TrustView Location Map