Llanrug memorial hall
This hall was opened by Dame Margaret Lloyd George, wife of Prime Minister David Lloyd George, in March 1922, to commemorate local men who died in the First World War. Their names and those of the Second World War dead are displayed on tablets inside. To discover who they were, choose a category below. Our lists include several who were omitted from the tablets but had local connections. (Details coming soon)
The new hall followed four years of local fundraising. It included a lending library and a billiards room, later becoming a popular venue for snooker.
During post-war austerity in 1947, there was a suggestion that the building be sold or closed because of the financial situation. A women’s committee was established, and by the end of 1948 the talk was of expanding the hall! An extension was built in 1966 for two snooker tables. In 1974 it was agreed that doctors from Waunfawr and Llanberis could use the hall for surgeries.
Another extension was opened in 2001, including a first-floor snooker room. Many local groups continue to use the hall for meetings and events. Hall enquiries: goronwy[AT symbol]lineone.net
With thanks to Adrian Hughes, of the Home Front Museum, Llandudno, for details of the war dead and to Dafydd Whiteside Thomas for the hall’s history
Postcode: LL55 4AF View Location Map
First World War
Where shown, click this icon for our page in memory of the person:
- Davies, Owen, Private 2835. Died 26/10/1918 aged 29. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Llanrug Calvinistic Methodist Chapelyard. Son of Daniel Owen Davies and Elizabeth Davies of Tyddyn Mawr.
- Davies, Thomas, Private 37037. Died 10/7/1916 aged 30. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Thiepval Memorial. Son of Thomas and Margaret Davies of 4 Bryn Gwyn Terrace.
- Davies, Thomas John, Private 2512. Died 15/11/1915 aged 38. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery. Son of Mrs Jane Davies, of Brynmihangel.
- Davies, William John, Private 40387. Died 19/8/1916 aged 22. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Thiepval Memorial. Son of David J and Hannah Davies of Glanfa, High Street, Penygroes, also of Eirianfa, Rhyddallt Terrace, Llanrug. Was a quarryman before enlisting.
- Edwards, Rev Evan, Chaplain 4th Class. Died of pneumonia 27/11/1918 aged 32. Army Chaplains' Department. Buried Liverpool (Anfield) Cemetery. Son of Evan and Gwen Edwards of Walton, Liverpool; husband of Gladys Edwards (nee James) of Fairhaven, Llanrug. Was a YMCA chaplain in France and later at Tidworth army camp, Hampshire. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
- Evans, Evan Pierce, Lance Corporal 159513. Died 9/9/1917 aged 29. Royal Engineers. Buried Barlin Communal Cemetery Extension. Awarded Military Medal. Son of Pierce and Annie Evans of Cwm-y-Glo. He was for five years a chemist at West Hendon, London.
- Griffith, Griffith, Private 203628. Died 26/2/1917 aged 22. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Beddgelert New Cemetery. Son of Thomas and Mary Griffith of Tan y Merddyn, Ceunant, Llanrug. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
- Griffith, Thomas Henry, Private 53821. Died 4/5/1917. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Arras Memorial. Son of Richard and Jane Griffith of Tanybryn. Born in Wisconsin, USA. Worked as a slate dresser in a quarry before enlisting.
- Hughes, John John, Private 35485. Died 24/4/1918 aged 24. Machine Gun Corps. Buried Varennes Military Cemetery. Son of John and Mary Hughes of Bryn, Llanrug. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
- Hughes, Thomas, Private 72892. Died 26/9/1917 aged 33. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Tyne Cot Memorial. Son of William and Eliza Ann Hughes.
- Hughes, William Thomas, Private 69840. Died 13/10/1918 aged 20. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Doiran Memorial. Son of Thomas and Kate Hughes of Glan Gors, Ceunant, Llanrug. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
- Hughes, William W. Private 3161. Died 11/8/1915. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Helles Memorial. Lived at Cae Newydd.
- Jones, David, Private 16176. Died 5/3/1916 aged 29. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. Nephew of Mrs. Sarah Williams of Groeslon Newydd.
- Jones, Ebenezer. Of Bryn Gro.
- Jones, Thomas Charles, Private 40366. Died 20/7/1916 aged 25. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Thiepval Memorial. Son of Thomas and Ann Jones of Glanllyn. Worshipped at Llanrug’s Methodist chapel.
- Jones, William, Serjeant 265670. Died 10/3/1918 aged 32. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Jerusalem War Cemetery. Son of Owen and Elizabeth Jones of Mountain Street, Caernarfon; husband of Jane Jones of 2 Arfon Terrace, Llanrug. Other addresses for him are Elidir View and Rhyddallt Terrace. Left two young sons.
- Jones, William, Private 63092. Died 1/9/1918. Welsh Regiment. Buried Guards' Cemetery. Lived at Fronheulog.
- Knowles, Griffith T, Private 48706. Died 4/11/1918 aged 21. South Wales Borderers. Buried St. Sever Cemetery. Son of William T. and Ellen Knowles of 1 Bryngwyn Terrace.
- Lloyd, Robert Private 87229. Died 21/10/1918 aged 19. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Montay-Neuvilly Road Cemetery. Son of Isaac and Maggie Lloyd of Llys Awen.
- Owen, John Evan, Private 47146. Died 22/3/1917 aged 25. Welsh Regiment. Buried Bard Cottage Cemetery. Son of Evan John and Jane Owen of Pant Tirion.
- Parry, Henry L. Private 31556. Died 11/4/1918. King's Shropshire Light Infantry. Buried Wulverghem-Lindenhoek Road Military Cemetery. Of Gellioed.
- Phillips, Idris, Private 260177. Died 8/9/1917 aged 19. Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Buried Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. Son of Robert and MC Phillips of Bryn Hafod.
- Pritchard, William J, Private 39733. Died of wounds 26/10/1916 aged 24. South Wales Borderers. Buried Heilly Station Cemetery. Son of John and Hannah Pritchard of Minffordd. Worshipped at Llanrug’s Methodist chapel.
- Roberts, Hugh Michael, Gunner 114194. Died 18/4/1917 aged 39. Royal Garrison Artillery. Buried Tilloy British Cemetery. Son of Michael and Jane Roberts; husband of Margaret Roberts of Isbryn, Trevor Terrace.
- Roberts, Richard Michael, Private 22496. Died 10/7/1916. Welsh Regiment. Buried Thiepval Memorial. Son of Mr and Mrs Michael Roberts of Bryn Beuno.
- Thomas, David. Of Cefn Coed. Served in the RWF 6th Bn. Visited home in September 1916.
- Thomas, Francis, Lance Corporal G/52553. Died 22/3/1918 aged 22. Royal Fusiliers. Buried Duisans British Cemetery. Son of William and Gwen Thomas of 9 Bryngwyn Terrace.
- Williams, E, Private 21990. Died 29/9/1919 aged 20. King's Shropshire Light Infantry. Buried Llanddeiniolen (St. Deiniolen) Churchyard. Son of Thomas and Mary Williams of Glandwr, Llanrug. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
- Williams, Henry Lloyd, Private 11875. Died 22/4/1918 aged 23. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Pozieres Memorial. Son of Margaret Williams of Afon Rhos, Llanrug. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
- Williams, Hugh, Private 1921. Died 2/12/1915 aged 39. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery. Son of A. Williams of Bryngwyn Mawr.
- Williams, Joseph, Lance Corporal 265519. Died 6/11/1917 aged 21. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Beersheba War Cemetery. Son of Griffith Owen and Mary Williams of Derlwyn.
- Williams, Morris, Private 266297. Died 21/10/1919 aged 25. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Llanrug Calvinistic Methodist Chapelyard. Son of John and Margaret Williams of Castle View, Llanrug. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
- Williams, Richard, Private 54147. Died 7/11/1916 aged 33. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Thiepval Memorial. Son of Jane Williams of 3 Tanycoed Terrace, and earlier of Cae Hob, Llanddeiniolen. Was a Sunday School teacher.
- Williams, Kelyth Pierce Lloyd, Second Lieutenant. Died 17/10/1916 aged 21. Welsh Regiment. Buried Maroc British Cemetery. Only son of Dr W Lloyd-Williams JP and Annie Lloyd-Williams of Llanberis and Llwynybrain.
- Williams, William Richard, Private 40310. Died 1/1/1918 aged 26. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Bethel Congregational Chapelyard, Llanfair-is-Gaer. Son of Richard and Elizabeth Williams of 3 Brynafon Terrace, Crowia, Llanrug. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
Second World War
- Davies, Llywelyn Price, Petty Officer D/SSX 19462. Died 16/8/1945 aged 27. Royal Navy. Buried at Copenhagen (Bispebjerg) Cemetery. Awarded British Empire Medal. Son of John and Margaret Davies; husband of MC Davies of Llanrug. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
- Evans, John Dewi of 9 Rhos Rug. Probably: Lance Corporal 7378734. Died 24/3/1945. Royal Army Medical Corps. Buired Reichswald Forest War Cemetery.
- Hammond, Charles Neville, Flight Lieutenant 131082. Died 22/10/1943 aged 23. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Hanover War Cemetery. Awarded Distinguished Flying Cross. Son of Lt-Col. Thomas Neville and Doris Hammond of Llanrug; husband of Mary Hammond, of Odiham, Hampshire. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
- Hughes, Arthur Wyn of Cae Newydd. Probably: Fusilier 4206453. Died 28/1/1941 aged 30. Royal Welch Fusiliers. Buried Gaerwen Calvinistic Methodist Chapelyard. Son of William and Mary Hughes; husband of Olwen Hughes, of Gaerwen.
- Jackson, John William, Civilian. Died 2/9/1945 aged 45. Captured by the Japanese at the Fall of Singapore and held at a Japanese prisoner camp at Muntok Banka Island, Sumatra. Son of George and E Jackson of Bryniau, Llanrug. Not named on Llanrug war memorial.
- Jones, Alfred, Guardsman 2732386. Died 23/1/1941 aged 33. Welsh Guards. Buried Malbork Commonwealth War Cemetery. Son of Hugh and Alice Jones of Twr Isaf, Bryn Bras.
- Jones, Edward Thomas, Gunner 97001061. Died 18/7/1944 aged 24. Royal Horse Artillery. Bayeux Memorial. Son of Edward Richard and Sarah Jones of Llanrug.
- Jones, Edward. Of Cae Glas.
- Jones, Nowie. Private 4202761. Died 18/07/1943 aged 27. Durham Light Infantry. Buried Caserta War Cemetery. Son of Owen and Nell Jones; husband of Lavinia Kathleen Jones of Caernarfon. Of 3 Rhos Rug, Llanrug.
- Land, James, Sergeant 1699658. Died 28/7/1943 aged 19. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried at Hamburg Cemetery. Son of William Thomas and Elsie Land of Bryn Beuno.
- Roberts, John Enos, Able Seaman D/JX 333916. Died 29/10/1942 aged 20. Royal Navy. Plymouth Naval Memorial. Son of Evan and Elsie Roberts of 3 Glan Moelyn.
- Roberts, John Owen. Of Buarthau.
- Roberts, William Wyn, Trooper 7914656. Died 15/8/1942 aged 31. Royal Armoured Corps. Buried Ranchi War Cemetery. Son of Thomas and Catherine Roberts.