Gwalchmai war memorial
Gwalchmai war memorial
The memorial clock tower in Gwalchmai was unveiled in 1926 in memory of the local men who had died in the First World War. The names of those who died in the Second World War were added later. To discover who they were, choose a category below.
The memorial names a father and son, both called Richard Evans, who died in 1919 and 1941 respectively and are buried in the same churchyard.
One of the men named on the memorial is John Williams, who was born in Gwalchmai and worked in South Wales before returning to Anglesey because his wife was worried about the dangers he faced as a coal miner. He was working on the passenger ship RMS Leinster as a fireman (maintaining the fires in the steamship’s boilers) in 1918 when the vessel was torpedoed as it sailed towards Holyhead. More than 500 people died, including John. His relatives were told that he had saved a female passenger while the ship was sinking and was last seen going back below deck to rescue another.
With thanks to Barry Hillier, Sharon Jones, Margaret Price, Mari Hughes, Mair Jones and Mary E Jones
First World War
- Evans, Richard, Private T/364520. Died 26/10/1919 aged 36. Royal Army Service. Buried Gwalchmai (St. Morhaiarn) Churchyard. Husband of Mary Ellen Evans (later Jones) of Tŷ'r Gwydd. Father of Richard Evans, below.
- Griffith, John, Private 69187. Died 25/10/1918 aged 21. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Giavera Memorial, Italy. Son of Richard and Elizabeth Griffith of Bryn Henlli, Cerrig Ceinwen. Died during the crossing of the river Piave, near Lido island, during action by British forces in support of Italy.
- Hallsworth, Albert Vincent, Private 37210. Died 03/11/1917 aged 29. Essex Regiment. Buried Gaza War Cemetery. Lived at Pantyrhedyn.
- Hughes, John, Private 54402. Died 13/11/1916 aged 21. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Thiepval Memorial. Son of John and Lizzie Hughes of Dafarn Croes.
- Hughes, John. Died 1918 aged 21. Lived at Tŷ Hir.
- Hughes, Richard, Private 53703. Died 01/10/1917 aged 33. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Tyne Cot Memorial. Son of Mary Hughes of Glanrafon.
- Hughes, Robert. Died 1918 aged 20. Lived at Tyn Cae.
- Hughes, William, Private 201220. Died 28/07/1921 aged 35. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Gwalchmai (St. Morhaiarn) Churchyard.
- Jones, Hugh, Second Lieutenant. Died 03/09/1916 aged 27. Royal Welsh Fusiliers 10th Bn. Thiepval Memorial. Son of Captain Thomas Jones of Marian Glas. Was a teacher at the Council School, Gwalchmai, before enlisting.
- Jones, Hugh, Private 203964. Died 04/06/1918 aged 20. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Rethel French National Cemetery. Son of Catherine Jones of Pen Rallt, Isaf, Llanbeulan.
- Jones, John, Private 302534. Died 13/10/1917 aged 17. Manchester Regiment. Awarded Distinguished Conduct Medal. Buried Nine Elms British Cemetery. Son of William and Margaret Jones of Cerrig Druidion.
- Jones, Robert, Private 203763. Died 22/04/1918 aged 25. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Pozieres Memorial. Son of Robert and Ellen Jones of 1 Crown Street.
- Jones, William, Private 266513. Died 16/04/1917 aged 23. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Jerusalem War Cemetery. Son of Mr J Jones of Bryn Goleu.
- Lewis, Edward, Private 39190. Died 25/08/1916 aged 29. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Lonsdale Cemetery. Son of Edward and Jane Lewis of Wylfa Terrace.
- Lewis, Richard, Private 25733. Died 26/09/1915 aged 20. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Llanbeulan (St. Peulan) Churchyard. Son of Edward and Jane Lewis of Wylfa Terrace.
- Parry, David, Gunner 310447. Died 08/11/1918 aged 22. Royal Garrison Artillery. Buried Douai British Cemetery. Son of John and Margaret Parry of Tynffynon.
- Pierce, Richard Griffith, Sapper 47892. Died 06/12/1917 aged 24. Royal Engineers. Buried Giavera British Cemetery. Son of Griffith Owen and Mary Ann Pierce of Cefncaerfor.
- Roberts, Hugh. Possibly: Private 25750. Died 05/07/1916. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Gordon Dump Cemetery. Lived at Pencloc.
- Roberts, John. Died 1916 aged 18. Lived at Tanyfynwent.
- Roberts, William. Possibly: Private 12015. Died 13/11/1916. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Queens Cemetery. Lived at Blue Bell Street.
- Rowlands, David, Private 69707. Died 30/08/1918 aged 25. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Vis-en-Artois Memorial. Son of Elizabeth Rowlands of Tŷ Canol, Trevor, Bodffordd.
- Thomas, Griffith. Died 1916 aged 25. Of Cerrig Mynna.
- Thomas, Hugh, of Tynygongl. Possibly: Private 21270. Died 09/01/1918. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Passchendaele New British Cemetery.
- Williams, David, of Pwll Llif. Possibly: Sergeant 5358. Died 06/11/1916 aged 34. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Thiepval Memorial. Husband of Hannah Williams of 6, Ynysagored Road, Aberfan, Glamorgan.
- Williams, Edward. Died 1918 aged 22. Of Tailawr.
- Williams, Henry Caradoc, Private 22055. Died 24/05/1918 aged 20. Army Cyclist Corps. Buried Gwalchmai (St. Morhaiarn) Churchyard. Son of Edward and Elizabeth Williams of Rhosydd Canal, Bodedern. Born at Gwalchmai.
- Williams, John. Fireman. Died 10/10/1918 aged 29. Mercantile Marine – RMS Leinster. Tower Hill Memorial. Husband of Mary Williams of 9, Summer Hill, Holyhead, Anglesey. Born at Gwalchmai.
- Williams, Robert Arthur, Private 17776. Died 31/12/1919 aged 24. Royal Army Veterinary Corps. Buried Gwalchmai Calvinistic Methodist Chapelyard. Son of William and Anne Williams of Cerrigengan Farm, Bodorgan.
- Williams, William John, Private 44043. Died 18/09/1918 aged 31. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Doiran Memorial. Son of Thomas and Mary Williams; husband of Lizzie Williams of Brynia Llithrig, Caergeiliog. Born at Tyddyn Teilir, Holyhead.
Second World War
- Evans, Richard, Able Seaman C/JX188135. Died 24/11/1941 aged 22. Royal Navy - HMS Cleopatra or HMS Versatile. Buried Gwalchmai (St. Morhaiarn) Churchyard. Lived at Tŷ'r Gwydd. Son of Richard Evans, above, and Mary Ellen Evans.
- Evans, Robert, Fusilier 4198245. Died 12/02/1944 aged 26. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. El Alia Cemetery, Algeria. Son of Owen and Ann (or Nan) Evans of Penrallt Bach; husband of Emily Evans, of Swiss Cottage, London.
- Jones, John Lewis, Private 14594654. Died 11/05/1944 aged 22. The Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey). Buried Kohima War Cemetery. Son of Hugh and Ellen Jones of Henysgoldy.
- Jones, Merfyn, Fusilier 4209120. Died 06/04/1943 aged 23. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Rangoon Memorial. Son of Henry and Margaret Ellen Jones of Tanyfynwent.
- Jones, William Henry, Died 1945 aged 29. Lived at Bodawel.
- Owen, Ronald Edward, Aircraftman 2nd Class 1697201. Died 27/03/1943 aged 18. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Llechylched (Holy Trinity) Churchyard. Son of Hugh and Kate Owen of Hafod.
- Roberts, Hugh, Sapper 14664647. Died 25/04/1946 aged 31. Royal Engineers. Buried Kranji War Cemetery. Lived at Fron.
- Robinson, Harold David. Possibly: Private 4804589. Died 17/07/1944 aged 25. Seaforth Highlanders. Buried Ryes War Cemetery. Son of Harry and Mary Jane Robinson of Winterton, Lincolnshire.
- Williams, John, Stoker 1st Class P/KX 109312. Died 11/04/1943 aged 25. Royal Navy - HMS Beverley. Portsmouth Naval Memorial. Son of Thomas and Mary Williams; husband of Jennet Williams of 4, Wylfa Terrace. John died after his ship was torpedoed off Iceland while escorting a convoy of merchant ships.