RAF bomber crash memorial, Milford Haven
Six airmen died when their RAF bomber crashed onto the dockside near here during the Second World War. See below for their details.
The men, mostly members of the Royal Australian Air Force, had taken off in a Vickers Wellington bomber from RAF Lichfield, Staffordshire. Their practice flight took them to Rhyl and the Isle of Man before heading south to Pembrokeshire. The aircraft made an SOS message in the early hours of 19 July 1942 and attempts were made to guide it to RAF Talbenny, on the coast west of Little Haven. However, the aircraft crashed into a building at Milford Haven dock before hitting the bank below Hamilton Terrace. All six crew members perished. The Australians were buried at Pembroke Dock.
The memorial at Hamilton Terrace was donated by the local branch of the Royal British Legion in 1986.
One consequence of the crash is that Milford Haven hosts what’s thought to be the only Anzac Day memorial event in Wales. Anzac (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) Day on 25 April marks the anniversary of the first major military action in the First World War by forces from Australia and New Zealand.
Postcode: SA73 3JA View Location Map
The airmen who died
- Bradley, Keith James, Sergeant 411117. Aged 25. Royal Australian Air Force. Buried at Pembroke Dock Military Cemetery. Son of James Albert and Alice Maud Bradley, of Five Dock, New South Wales.
- Condon, William Harry, Sergeant 408131. Aged 22. Royal Australian Air Force. Buried at Pembroke Dock Military Cemetery. Son of James Benedict Condon and Lillian Norris Condon, of Laverton, Victoria.
- Cooke, Maurice, Sergeant Air Gunner 1170027. Aged 20. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried at New Bradwell Cemetery, Buckinghamshire. Son of Frederick John and Marguerite E Cooke, of New Bradwell.
- Jennings, Edward Douglas Reginald, Sergeant 411145. Aged 26. Royal Australian Air Force. Buried at Pembroke Dock Military Cemetery. Son of Reginald Webb Jennings and Madeline Lucy Jennings, of Strathfield, New South Wales.
- Steinbach, Kenneth Henry Charles, Sergeant 404856. Aged 29. Royal Australian Air Force. Buried at Pembroke Dock Military Cemetery. Son of Henry Walter and Mercy Steinbach; husband of Daphne Alberta Steinbach, of Ipswich, Queensland.
- Warburton, George Ernest, Sergeant 411206. Aged 23. Royal Australian Air Force. Buried at Pembroke Dock Military Cemetery. Son of Ernest Alfred and Elizabeth Iolet Warburton. of Turramurra, New South Wales.