Christ Church, Prestatyn
This building is Prestatyn’s parish church, consecrated in May 1863. The parish was established in 1860 from areas which were previously in the parishes of Meliden and Llanasa. Prestatyn’s rapid growth after the opening of the Chester & Holyhead Railway in the 1840s justified a separate parish for the town.
The church was designed by architect Thomas Henry Wyatt, who hailed from Ireland. He settled in Britain and designed numerous Welsh churches, including several in Monmouthshire for his patron, the Duke of Beaufort. He was also involved in the Victorian restoration of Llandaf Cathedral, Cardiff.
Christ Church was enlarged in 1905, when a south aisle was added. The chancel dates from 1926. For many decades there was equal demand for services in Welsh and in English, but the number of Welsh speakers in the area declined after the Second World War.
Inside and outside the church are several war memorials.
In the churchyard is the grave of Arthur Rowland Jones, who was First Officer on the liner Lusitania when it was torpedoed off Ireland by a German submarine in 1915, with the loss of almost 1,200 lives. On 2 February 1918, he was one of 22 men killed when the steamship Avanti was torpedoed in the English Channel. He was married to Elizabeth Jones of The Nook, Chapel Road, Prestatyn. One of his Lusitania colleagues, stewardess Mary Elizabeth Jones, also hailed from central North Wales but died when the liner sank. You can read her details on our pages about Llanfairfechan war memorial.
Postcode: LL19 9AR