Former tram route, Bodafon Fields, Llandudno

Former tram route, Bodafon Fields, Llandudno

Photo of tramway through Bodafon FieldsThe road through the fields to Bodafon Farm Park was originally the route of the tramway which connected Llandudno to Colwyn Bay.

The photo, courtesy of the L&CB Tramway Society, was taken from the top deck of a tram approaching what’s now the gateway beside Nant-y-Gamar Road. It shows a single-deck tram from Colwyn Bay approaching, having entered the fields at Bryn y Bia Road, Craigside.

When the tramway opened in 1907, the section through Bodafon Fields was single track, with a loop near each end where trams in opposite directions passed each other.

The photo shows the later double track. Near the bottom centre is a sign prohibiting entry to the “private road”, approximately where you see the pedestrian gate today. In the bottom right corner is the edge of the waiting shelter for passengers. Only a few of the tram stops had their own shelters; elsewhere passengers waited in the rain or sheltered at nearby buildings.

After the Second World War, trams were timetabled in summer to run every 10 minutes between West Shore and Colwyn Bay throughout the day. To help accommodate the crowds travelling within Llandudno, an additional service ran from West Shore to here and back every 10 minutes. The empty tram would continue part way through the fields and use a crossover (connecting track) to switch to the westbound track for its next service from here to West Shore.

The track was lifted after the tramway’s closure in 1956. The western half of the tramway route through the fields now provides the public access to Bodafon Farm Park – follow the link below for visitor information.

With thanks to the Llandudno & Colwyn Bay Tramway Society

Postcode: LL30 1YE    View Location Map

Website of Bodafon Farm Park