Site of Tŷ Vaughan, Caerphilly

Site of Tŷ Vaughan, Caerphilly

An imposing building called Tŷ Vaughan once stood on this site. It was built in the 1780s by iron trader William Vaughan. In its final guise, it had a tall gable-end wall facing the castle and a two-storey east wing with attic rooms and dormer windows.

William Vaughan moved to Caerphilly from the Monmouth area. He managed several iron-working businesses including the Caerphilly Furnace, which turned iron ore into basic “pig iron”. He also managed the Machen Forge, which turned Caerphilly pig iron into iron bars. This combined business was already thriving by the late 17th century, the forge having been established by 1567.

During William’s time, the Caerphilly Furnace Society gave money to its subscribing members in times of need, such as during illness or old age. The society met at the town’s Angel Inn.

William also managed the Pentyrch Ironworks, near Taff’s Well. He sold iron implements, including tools used in the small coal mines of the period. He died in 1811.

Later Tŷ Vaughan was home to local banker Evan Evans. He was also grocer, draper, magistrates’ clerk, writer and historian. On his death in 1868, his business interests passed to his  third son, Joseph, who also lived at Tŷ Vaughan and was sub-manager of the local branch of the London & Provincial Bank. Joseph died in 1893.

The doctor’s surgery moved to Tŷ Vaughan from nearby Tŷ Meddyg after the death of Dr John Llewelyn in 1895. It had various uses in the 20th century, including latterly a laundry.

It was demolished in 1970, making way for newer buildings. Today the site is home to several businesses, including estate agent Peter Alan.

Postcode: CF83 1JL    View Location Map

Sources include the National Library of Wales and journals of the Caerphilly Local History Society

Website of Peter Alan

button-tour-caerphilly-customs Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button