St George’s Church, Reynoldston

St George’s Church, Reynoldston

This building was erected in the 1860s to replace a basic church which stood at the site, possibly roofed with thatch. It’s thought that the first church here was founded by Reginald de Breos, who is commemorated in the village’s name. His ancestor William de Breos was given the Lordship of Gower by King John in 1203.

Some of the memorials inside the present church were transferred from its predecessor. They include a marble tablet for members of the Lucas family, which built the nearby Stouthall mansion in the 18th century. Another survivor from the earlier church is the font, made from a stalagmite – possibly found in a Gower cave.

Also inside is a stone cross which was brought here from Stouthall in 1977 for preservation. It was carved more than 1,000 years ago and could have originally marked church property or a grave.

Slate tablets in the church porch display the names of local rectors, who were appointed by local landowners until disestablishment of the Church in Wales in 1920. Each successive rector farmed a 41-acre area, known as the Glebe, off Castle Ditty Lane. The rector also received tithes, originally a tenth of the parish’s agricultural output. He also levied three pence on each married couple at Easter, and lesser amounts on single people, towards the church’s upkeep.

In 1836, the Tithe Commutation Act formalised the practice of paying tithes in money instead of livestock and crops. The Rev John Davies, rector of Reynoldston, called a meeting of landowners and “tithe-owners” in the rectory in 1837 to negotiate the amounts to be paid. It was reported in 1840 that setting the “rent-charge” and recording it on maps had been completed with no objections from landowners.

Postcode: SA3 1AA    View Location Map

Parish website