Llanasa parish church

Link to French translationLlanasa parish church

This church was built in the 15th century, although various alterations were made in subsequent centuries. It replaced an earlier church, dedicated to saints Asaph and Kentigern, which is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1087. Llanasa is a shortened form of Llanasaph (denoting an enclosure dedicated to St Asaph). By 1281, St Asaph’s relics had been moved from the church to the recently built St Asaph Cathedral.

The current church may incorporate some stonework from the earlier church. It features a double nave, tomb slabs from the 14th century and a pulpit from the 17th century. One of the slabs bears the name and coat of arms of Gruffudd Fychan. Some believe that he was father of Owain Glyndŵr, who led the Welsh revolt against English rule at the start of the 15th century. However, this slab may commemorate a different Gruffudd Fychan.

Some of the stained glass at the eastern end is thought to have been moved here from Basingwerk Abbey, near Holywell, when Britain’s monasteries were destroyed in the 16th century. A model of the abbey is displayed inside the church. The model was made by Wrexham-based architect Geraint Roberts, who grew up in the Llanasa area.

In 2010 two new stained glass windows were installed in memory of Edward Howatson, who died in 2007. He was an ardent conservationist, and the windows reflect his love of nature as well as including Christian references. The windows were designed and created by Chester-based Recclesia Stained Glass.

The church contains a memorial to the 13 crew members of the Point of Ayr lifeboat who drowned on a stormy night in January 1857 as they tried to rescue sailors from the Belfast schooner Temperance. Members of the drowned men’s families volunteered for the new lifeboat crew, which was ready for service just five weeks after the disaster.

In the churchyard is the tomb for Sir Piers Mostyn, who died in 1605, although the slab on top is from a later period. He was a member of the dominant local landowning family. There is also a sundial dating from 1762. The lychgate was built in 1725 and later reconstructed.

Postcode: CH8 9NE    View Location Map

Church website

Llanasa village website

Other SHIPWRECK HiPoints in this region:
American civil war wreck, near Prestatyn – Confederate “blockade runner” sank in 1865
Rhyl lifeboat memorial – Six lifeboat crew died in 1853 after going to the aid of a sinking ship

National Cycle Network Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button
Pilgrim's Way Tour Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button