Site of Mostyn Broadway tramway, Llandudno

Site of Mostyn Broadway tramway, Llandudno

Old photo of tramway in Mostyn BroadwayMostyn Broadway looked very different when a double-track tramway ran along its centre! The old photo, courtesy of the L&CB Tramway Society, shows an electric tram heading towards Colwyn Bay.

Beyond the tram are the Arcadia Theatre – on the site now occupied by Venue Cymru – and the Grand Theatre, which still stands. When crowds poured out of the theatres after shows, extra trams were laid on from the stop outside the Grand to ferry visitors and locals to Llandudno’s main hotel and residential districts. Having reversed outside the theatre, these trams switched to the westbound track using the crossover (connecting track) visible near the centre of the photo.

When the tramway opened in October 1907, there was only a single track here, with a loop for trams in opposite directions to pass each other. There were fields on both sides of the tramway.

The tram in the old photo, no.3, came here from Accrington Corporation. To the left of the tram you can glimpse buses, parked at the Crosville bus depot alongside the theatres. Bus competition was increasingly intense after the Second World War, and the tramway closed in March 1956. The tramway company ran its own buses between Llandudno and Colwyn Bay until 1961.

With thanks to the Llandudno & Colwyn Bay Tramway Society and Conwy Archive Service

Postcode: LL30 1YR    View Location Map

Website of Conwy Archive Service