Horse-drawn coach, Capel Curig

Link to French translationHorse-drawn coach, Tyn-y-Coed Inn, Capel Curig

Photo of coach at Capel Curig 1967Generations of tourists have seen the horse-drawn coach opposite the Tyn-y-Coed Inn. The coach symbolises the vehicles for which the London to Holyhead road (now the A5) and other local roads were engineered in the early 19th century.

The first coach to be put on display there had been used by film director Alfred Hitchcock in his 1939 film Jamaica Inn. The story centres on a Cornish coaching inn used by smugglers. The landlady of the Tyn-y-Coed at the time, Mrs Newman, bought the coach in the early 1950s. It was placed on display in the open air outside the building and was branded with the names of places in Cornwall and Devon. The picture on the right, taken in July 1967, is by the late Hugh Pritchard.

In the 1980s it was replaced by a coach called Yorkshire Rose. It’s thought that this was once a stagecoach but little, if anything, of the original survives because so many components have been replaced over the decades.

In 2016 the coach was refurbished with new bodywork by craftworkers from Anglesey Wood Products, using measurements from original Royal Mail drawings. The original chassis and metal fittings were retained, and the coach was painted in Royal Mail red.

Postcode: LL24 0EE    View Location Map

Website of Tyn-y-Coed Inn


Telfords Irish Road Tour label Navigation go East buttonNavigation go West button