Mynydd Mawr viewpoint, near Uwchmynydd

Mynydd Mawr viewpoint, near Uwchmynydd

The high ground here, at the westernmost tip of the North Wales mainland, provides views of the sea, Ynys Enlli (Bardsey) and the rest of the Llŷn Peninsula. In clear weather you may see the mountains of County Wicklow, Ireland, on the horizon.

With such extensive views, it’s no coincidence that this spot was chosen by the Victorian authorities for a coastguard lookout point here, described as a “semaphore signalling station” on a 1901 map.

A press report in 1893 said the new telegraph wire to the Mynydd Mawr station could be useful in stormy weather as “the means of saving life upon the rock-bound coast and its dangerous spots”.

The facility was used in the First World War and upgraded c.1940, when Germany started sending bombers via the Irish Sea to attack Liverpool and other strategic targets. The new features included radar equipment, an army guard-house and a gun emplacement. It was one of several radar posts which formed the RAF’s Pen y Bryn radar station. Some of the buildings still stand, while concrete bases show where others stood.

The coastguard left the site in 1990. Its former hut is now sometimes used by National Trust volunteers to provide information to visitors. The National Trust owns the land in this area.

South of the car park at Mynydd Mawr are the bases of three circular prehistoric huts, each about 4 metres to 4.5 metres in diameter. The base of the cairn at the summit of Mynydd Mawr dates from the Bronze Age.

View Location Map