Nantlle bandroom, Talysarn
This bandroom was built purposely for the Nantlle Vale Silver Band, formed by slate quarrymen in the 1860s.
The band added “Royal” to its title after performing for the Prince and Princess of Wales as they boarded their yacht at Porth yr Aur, Caernarfon, in July 1894. The musicians were on another ship moored there. The princess reportedly acknowledged the fine playing of the “small band of sturdy quarrymen”.
The band performed in concerts and other events in Dyffryn Nantlle and the wider region. It has won prizes in many competitions.
In 1888 showman Jules Riviere booked the band to play marches in one of his concerts at Llandudno's Pier Pavilion. During the performance a temporary platform collapsed and 20 of the band’s 25 players plunged three metres (10ft) to the ground. Nobody was injured but 15 instruments were damaged, some being unplayable. After a delay while the musicians regrouped, the band played the marches to an appreciative audience.
In 1910 there was a campaign to supply new instruments to the band, as the old instruments were said to be preventing the talented musicians from winning competitions.
In March 1915 the band accompanied c.50 soldiers from Llandudno as they went to Sunday service in Hyfrydle Chapel, Talysarn. The soldiers were camped in the area to try to persuade more local men to join the armed forces in the First World War.
Zachariah Jones, son of band conductor Benjamin Jones, enlisted later that year and served as a Private in the Royal Garrison Artillery. In September 1916 he died in hospital in Winchester after undergoing surgery. He was 20 years old and is buried at Llanllyfni churchyard.
Today the band continues to practise here.
Postcode: LL54 6AB View Location Map