Former Miles Memorial Hall, Llangattock

Former Miles Memorial Hall, Llangattock

This building opened in 1888 as the Miles Memorial Hall, honouring a man who had funded local public improvements. It’s now a private house – please don’t enter the grounds.

George Miles came from a wealthy Bristol family. He served in the same cavalry regiment as the 7th Duke of Beaufort, a major Llangattock landowner. George, a bachelor, eventually settled at Llangattock Park. You can read more about him and his public works on our page about the water fountain which he funded.

After his death in 1886, the community raised £700 for a new church hall. During the ceremonial laying of the foundation stone by Adelaide Saville (George’s sister-in-law), the stone slipped and fell at her feet. The date was Friday 13 April 1888, and some saw the mishap as an ill omen. Adelaide died three months later.

The hall, seating 300, opened on 5 October 1888. Sunday School children paraded through the village behind a recently formed fife and drum band, before they and parishioners tucked in to tea and bara brith at the hall, courtesy of the rector.

Community events held here included a ceremony in 1917 to present a gold watch from the community to Lance Corporal Joseph Williams, a stretcher bearer. He had received the Military Medal for bravely carrying wounded troops while under heavy shellfire. He was to die in hospital in Italy in November 1918.

At a ceremony here in May 1918, more than £20 each was presented to two wounded men. Private Tom Bevan, of Penrhiw Farm, had lost an eye and suffered injuries to his right arm and leg during fighting near Ypres, Belgium. He had previously fought at the Somme and Arras. Private Willie Powell, of Canal House, had had his lower left leg amputated.

Fundraising events for wounded soldiers or the Red Cross were held here during the war. In December 1918 there was a sale here of toys made by villagers, including dolls, animals and models of Red Cross vans and Great Western Railway buses. The rector, Richard Cole-Hamilton, had organised the venture in the hope of establishing new local employment.

By the 1980s, the hall needed costly repairs. A new church room was built instead, and in 1989 the hall became a residence known as Miles Hall.

With thanks to David Denison. Sources include the National Library of Wales

Postcode: NP8 1PH    View Location Map

More about the building on Miles Hall website

To continue the Llangattock in WW1 tour, walk back to Owens Row and to the church
POWYS WAR MEMORIAL PROJECT  Tour Label Navigation previous buttonNavigation next button