Benllech war memorial
Benllech war memorial
This memorial was unveiled in August 1922 to commemorate the local people who had died as a result of the First World War. The names of the Second World War dead were added later. To discover who they were, choose a category below.
Among those who died was Jane Ellen Howdle, a stewardess on the liner RMS Lusitania when it was torpedoed off Ireland while nearing the end of a voyage from New York.
Postcode: LL74 8SR View Location Map
First World War
Where shown, click this icon for our page in memory of the person:
- Evans, Edward G, Private 53609. Died 12/01/1917 aged 28. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Serre Road Cemetery No.1. Son of Richard and Ann Evans of Tan Dinas, Brynteg. Born in Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf.
- Evans, Humphrey, Private 33513. Died 14/11/1918 aged 28. East Lancashire Regiment. Buried Etaples Military Cemetery. Son of John and Elizabeth Evans of Waen Bwlch, Tynygongl. Brother of Robert, below.
- Evans, Robert W, Private 13921. Died 28/06/1918 aged 31. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Karasouli Military Cemetery. Son of John and Elizabeth Evans of Waen Bwlch, Tynygongl. Worked at a colliery in Tonypandy, Rhondda, before enlisting in August 1914.
- Howdle, Jane Ellen, Stewardess. Died 07/05/1915 aged 33. Mercantile Marine - RMS Lusitania. Buried Cobh Old Church Cemetery, Ireland. Daughter of John and Jane Hughes of 17 Station Road, Liscard, Cheshire, and of Pantsaer, Ty’nygongl; widow of civil engineer Benjamin Howdle, who died locally in 1912. Jane was born in Seaforth, Lancashire. She and Benjamin had three children, all boys, by 1911.
- Hughes, Henry William, First Mate. Died 25/08/1917 aged 48. Mercantile Marine - SS Cymrian. Tower Hill Memorial. Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Hughes of Bryn Hyfryd, Ty’nygongl; husband of Mary Hughes (nee Roberts), of the Post Office, Trefor. Born at Dinas, Llaneugrad. Died after his ship was torpedoed in the Bristol Channel while carrying Welsh coal to Ireland.
- Owen, Edward, Private 14858. Died of illness 16/12/1917. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Salonika (Lembet Road) Military Cemetery. Third son of Mr and Mrs John Owen, of Pen’rodyn, Rhosfawr. Brother of William, below.
- Owen, William, Private 3/30214. Died 05/02/1919. South Wales Borderers attached to Gloucestershire Regiment. Haidar Pasha Memorial (buried at Tiflis British Cemetery), Turkey. Third son of Mr and Mrs John Owen, of Pen’rodyn, Rhosfawr. Worked for the Great Western Railway in Llanelli before the enlisting.
- Owen, William, Gunner 172707. Died 22/12/1917 aged 19. Royal Field Artillery. Buried Wimereux Communal Cemetery. Only son of Captain Moses Owen and Mary Owen of Tŷ Newydd. Educated at Ty’nygongl Council School and Llangefni County School. Was training to become a teacher before enlisting.
- Owen, William R, Private 266723. Died 02/03/1917 aged 30. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Kantara War Memorial Cemetery. Son of Elizabeth Owen of 2 Fron Deg, Tynygongl.
- Thomas, Jack O, Private 1594. Died 22/08/1919 aged 30. Royal Army Medical Corps. Buried Llanfair-Mathafarn-Eithaf (St. Mary) Churchyard. Son of Captain John Thomas. Of Llanddwyn.
- Roberts, Michael, Private 21268. Died 18/11/1915 aged 27. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Rhosfawr (Soar) Congregational Chapelyard. Son of Griffith and Mary Roberts of 4 Tai Newydd, Rhosmeirch, Llangefni. Formerly of Pendref.
- Roberts, Rhys, Private 15563. Died 14/01/1916 aged 24. The King's (Liverpool Regiment). Buried Cerisy-Gailly Military Cemetery. Son of William and Elizabeth Roberts of Bwlch, Nant Gwynant, Caernarvon; husband of Edith Mary Roberts of Bryn Celyn, Benllech.
- Roberts, William, Private 61140. Died 03/09/1918 aged 21. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Sailly-Saillisel British Cemetery. Son of William and Elizabeth Roberts of Bron Felen, Brynteg.
- Williams, David, Private 44244. Died 18/04/1918 aged 27. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Tyne Cot memorial. Son of Owen and Elizabeth Williams of Pantybugail, Tynygongl.
- Williams, Hugh Henry, Private 130235. Died 09/04/1917 aged 22. Canadian Infantry. Vimy Memorial. Son of Richard and Elizabeth Williams of Tudno View, Tynygongl. Emigrated to the USA and worked in San Francisco until the outbreak of war, when he travelled to Vancouver to enlist.
- Williams, Lewis R, Second Lieutenant. Died 18/08/1916 aged 21. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Thiepval Memorial. Son of Mrs. Tryphena Jones of Gwynfryn, and of schoolmaster John Williams of Ty’nygongl. Brother of Owen, below. Worked in a bank in Warwick before the war.
- Williams, Owen, Driver 614463. Died 30/09/1917 aged 30. Royal Horse Artillery. Buried Dozinghem Military Cemetery. Son of Mrs Tryphena Jones of Gwynfryn, and of schoolmaster John Williams of Ty’nygongl.
- Williams, Owen, Private 31354. Died 28/08/1916 aged 35. Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Buried Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. Husband of Lucy Mary Williams of 20, Emma Street, Ardwick, Manchester. Born Red Wharf Bay and formerly of Glanrafon Bach.
- Williams, John Richard, Lieutenant. Died 01/05/1918 aged 23. Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve - HMMS Blackmore Vale. Plymouth Naval Memorial. Son of Griffith and Catherine Williams of Ynysfor. Died after his ship, a minesweeper, struck a mine off Montrose, Scotland.
- Williams, William, Able Seaman. Died 29/11/1915. Mercantile Marine - SS Dotterel. Tower Hill Memorial. Of Sportygwynt. Died after his cargo ship struck a mine near France.
Second World War
- Bate, Charles Reginald, Corporal 1062647. Died 06/01/1945 aged 46. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Llanfair-Mathafarn-Eithaf (St Mary) Churchyard. Son of Charles and Emily Bate; husband of Nancy Bate of Ivy Dale.
- Daniels, Owen, Gunner 1073442. Died 11/09/1940 aged 35. Royal Artillery. Buried Llanfair-Mathafarn-Eithaf (St. Mary) Churchyard. Son of Isaac and Ellen Daniels of Pant Glas, Llanbedrgoch.
- Donnelly, John Kevin Fitzgerald, Second Officer. Died 31/10/1941 aged 25. Merchant Navy - MV King Malcolm. Tower Hill Memorial. Son of John Basil and Edith Mary Donnelly of Bodafon. Died after his ship was torpedoed during an Atlantic crossing.
- Evans, Thomas, Chief Officer. Died 23/09/1940 aged 42. Merchant Navy - MV Invershannon. Tower Hill Memorial. Son of Thomas and Rose Evans; husband of Margaret Evans of Fferam. Died after his ship was torpedoed west of Ireland.
- Hughes, Gwyneth Rhiannon, Junior Commander 192738. Died 09/02/1946 aged 28. Auxiliary Territorial Service. Buried Llanbedrgoch (St. Peter) Churchyard. Daughter of William and Elizabeth Hughes of Pentraeth. Of Tyn Cae.
- Jones, Victor, Merchant Navy. Of Tŷ Mawr.
- Rawson, Harry. Merchant Navy. Of Romany. A Harry Rawson registered with the Merchant Navy in Bangor and died in October 1945 aged 29.
- Roberts, Harry William. Of Plas Thelwal. Possibly: Corporal 3106. Died 15/10/1940 aged 33. British South Africa Police. Buried Chipinge Cemetery. Son of William and Laura Lydia Roberts; husband of Phyllis H Roberts of Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia.
- Thomas, Hugh, Corporal T/193631. Died 23/11/1944 aged 26. Royal Army Service Corps. Buried Cesena War Cemetery. Son of Mr and Mrs T Thomas of Bodhyfryd, Pentraeth.
- Williams, Evan, Ordinary Seaman. Died 30/09/1940 aged 17. Merchant Navy - SS Samala. Tower Hill Memorial. Son of Morris and Kate Williams of Tŷ Newydd Isaf, Llanbedrgoch. Died after his ship was torpedoed west of Ireland.
- Williams, Morris, Fireman. Died 13/05/1941 aged 58. Merchant Navy - Hopper Barge F. Tower Hill Memorial. Son of Evan and Ann Williams; husband of Kate Williams, Tŷ Newydd Isaf, Llanbedrgoch.
- Wood, Clifford, Flying Officer 116389. Died 12/12/1942. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Buried Abbeville Communal Cemetery. Of Benllech Farm.
- Williams, Henry. Royal Navy. Of Tyddyn Iolyn.